Using a secondary preferred language for proper Japanese characters display

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
supernovaw
Level 1
Level 1

Using a secondary preferred language for proper Japanese characters display

Post by supernovaw »

I have recently switched from Windows and discovered an annoyance that was easy to deal with on Windows, as well as macOS and Android.

Some CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) characters have a different writing depending on which country you're in. An example of this is "練". The attached screenshot demonstrates it.
On Windows, macOS and Android, even if the primary language is English, I could set up Japanese as a secondary language (so it comes after English in the list of preference), and that will cause the system to be in English, but if there is a CJK character with region-dependent writing, it is displayed as if the system was set to Japanese.

But on Linux, I couldn't find the option to set up a secondary language, only the primary, which I need to keep as English. Is there a way to do that? :c
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Other topics”