The folder contents could not be displayed (error message)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martin123
Level 1
Level 1

The folder contents could not be displayed (error message)

Post by martin123 »

Hi,

I have folders and files on a Toshiba external hard drive.

On one of the folders I dragged and dropped 4 doc files. I did not copy/paste or cut/paste.

When I did this drag and drop, the 4 doc files were copied inside the folder and also remained in their initial place.

When I wanted to delete the ones that remained outside the folder, I selected all four of them at the same time to delete them, but the deletion did not want to be done, I got a blocking message. I deleted them one by one, until I got to the file that didn't want to be deleted.

The problem is that when I explore the file with "Disk Usage Analyser", I see that the 4 doc files inside the folder were also deleted, as if there was a link between the two.

And moreover, all the other folders that were inside this folder have also been deleted!

Now when I want to open the folder, it doesn't open anymore and shows me the following error message:

"The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry could not display all the contents of "folder name here": Error when getting information for file "/folder path/the name of the file that causes the problem to open the folder here ":Input/output error"

How to first open the folder and most importantly how to find and recover all my files and folders that have apparently been deleted!

Thank You,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana / Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 / Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic x86_64 / bits: 64 / CPU: Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7Ghz / RAM: 8Go
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: The folder contents could not be displayed (error message)

Post by mikeflan »

What you describe should not be possible on Linux Mint. The only thing that makes sense to me is that you Moved the files even though it looked like you didn't move them. If you had hit F5 on the first window maybe the doc files that appeared to be there would disappear.

The original files and 2 backups are considered the minimum when backing up. Do you have 2 backups? If so then maybe you have your files. We see many people who only have 1 backup, and they are often complaining about losing their data.

Return to “Other topics”