Dual monitor with one rotated

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AidenJames1995

Dual monitor with one rotated

Post by AidenJames1995 »

I'm having some trouble configuring a dual monitor set-up with the left monitor rotated. Both monitors are 1920 x 1080, but the left is rotated. When I try to move from the left monitor to the right monitor I'm blocked from doing so unless I am positioned at above the 1080th pixel. I would have figured that the software would be intelligent enough to scale positioning from the 1920 height monitor to the 1080 height monitor thereby permitting a smooth transition between the two regardless of the position of the mouse. Is this something that can be fixed?

P.S. I would have posted this in the "Desktop & Window Managers " section, but new posts there appear to be disabled? Maybe the software category would be better? Not sure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Dual monitor with one roated

Post by Petermint »

Back when I did something similar, the monitor display let me align them based on the bottom edges or the top edges. I could then swipe across the matching parts. I had the physical bases at the same height so used that. I think the bottom menu spread all the way across.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AidenJames1995 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 amP.S. I would have posted this in the "Desktop & Window Managers " section, but new posts there appear to be disabled?
It is not disabled. There is no general "Desktop & Windows Manager" category. You have to select which desktop you are using in order to post. There are slight differences in how the Display app of each desktop handles this type of issue, but often these types of issues are posted to "Graphics Cards & Monitors" which is where I will move it.

So which desktop, Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce, are you using?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AidenJames1995

Post by AidenJames1995 »

SMG wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:19 am
AidenJames1995 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 amP.S. I would have posted this in the "Desktop & Window Managers " section, but new posts there appear to be disabled?
It is not disabled. There is no general "Desktop & Windows Manager" category. You have to select which desktop you are using in order to post. There are slight differences in how the Display app of each desktop handles this type of issue, but often these types of issues are posted to "Graphics Cards & Monitors" which is where I will move it.

So which desktop, Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce, are you using?
I'm on Cinnamon, without much added to the stock LM install other than a proprietary nVidia graphics driver for a Quadro P400.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dual monitor with one rotated

Post by SMG »

AidenJames1995 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 am I'm having some trouble configuring a dual monitor set-up with the left monitor rotated. Both monitors are 1920 x 1080, but the left is rotated. When I try to move from the left monitor to the right monitor I'm blocked from doing so unless I am positioned at above the 1080th pixel.
I seem to recall someone posting who had three screens and was having an issue similar to what you have described. In that case, the image on the third screen would not go above a certain parallel.

I'll see if I can find that topic as I do not recall the resolution (or if there was a resolution) to that issue.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Open Preferences > Display. Post a screenshot so we can see what the OS thinks.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

Better yet, you can show us how nvidia sees your desktop layout, or how the two screens are aligned. I think it's in the nvidia control center
AidenJames1995

Post by AidenJames1995 »

Screen caps of both nVidia window and the Display settings in Mint:
Screenshot from 2022-01-27 18-56-381.jpg
Screenshot from 2022-01-27 18-56-34.jpg
Screenshot from 2022-01-27 18-56-38.jpg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SMG wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:50 pmI seem to recall someone posting who had three screens and was having an issue similar to what you have described. In that case, the image on the third screen would not go above a certain parallel.

I'll see if I can find that topic as I do not recall the resolution (or if there was a resolution) to that issue.
This was the topic Cinnamon wont allow windows on top half of monitor. The issue was windows would not open above that certain position on the screen. For some reason, your issue struck me as having a possible similar underlying issue, but I could be mistaken.
AdamFirst
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AdamFirst »

I have dual monitors with one rotated. When I do an install with this, I adjust the displays in the display applet so that the center of the landscape monitor is even with the center of the portrait monitor.

I think it matters how you align the monitors in the display applet.
AidenJames1995

Post by AidenJames1995 »

AdamFirst wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 pm I have dual monitors with one rotated. When I do an install with this, I adjust the displays in the display applet so that the center of the landscape monitor is even with the center of the portrait monitor.

I think it matters how you align the monitors in the display applet.
I tried this, but all I ended up doing was moving the area that was blocked from moving over the other monitor (now it is above and below the matching height resolution of the horizontal monitor). I was doing a little bit of digging and it seems (I think) maybe xinerama could do this, but I can't find a decent guide to follow that's recent.

All I really need is some way of transitioning the cursor at the 'x' most bottom pixels to some point on the other monitor, so I at least get movement from one to the other.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”