Restoring default icons

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
citrom
Level 1
Level 1

Restoring default icons

Post by citrom »

Well... I've made a pretty dumb mistake not gonna lie.
I've deleted all of my default icons and themes from the /usr/share/icons and /usr/share/themes folders, and now I'm missing a "few" icons...
So I'm currently looking for a way to restore all of them, and even tho I found the mint-x and mint-y icons on github, there was a "default" icon pack too, that I believe handled the missing icons

Any help on this issue would help! Though in worst case scenario I just refresh install mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Restoring default icons

Post by rossdv8 »

Not sure if this will work, but it is what I would try first if you were one of my customers.

I don;t know if Cinnamon has Synaptic installed, but if it doesn;t, you can do
sudo apt install synaptic

If you open synaptic there's an icon in the top right corner called 'Search'.
Click that and enter 'cinnamon' as the search item. You might find a few items that are installed.
Try 'Right Clicking' each of them and choosing 'Mark for Reinstallation'.

Once you have done that, click 'Apply' at the top and wait until synaptic has done its stuff and the window has reloaded. (Somewhere in the middle of this a Dialog will pop up saying you can CLOSE the window once things have installed).

Try a reboot and see if it worked.

I don;t use Cinnamon, but if I did, I'd be trying this as my first option :-)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Restoring default icons

Post by smurphos »

citrom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm Any help on this issue would help! Though in worst case scenario I just refresh install mint
I'd go for a fresh install - particularly /usr/share/icons/hicolor is difficult to reinstate manually as it includes icons from many many different packages installed on the system, so you'd be doing dozens and dozens of package re-installs. Or if you've got a timeshift snapshot that predates your delete-fest roll-back to that.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Other topics”