how can i get better performance in linux mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

how can i get better performance in linux mint?

Post by ilAli »

have you ever seen performance benchmark comparisong between intel's clear linux, ubuntu, fedora, arch, etc.?

Intel's Clear Linux Outpacing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Fedora 36 & Other H1'2022 Distros

it seems clear linux has much better performance compaire to ubuntu (and therefor mint).
is it possible to bring clear os configs to the linux mint to gain its performance here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: how can i get better performance in linux mint?

Post by xenopeek »

I think you're letting the numbers run around with you :) These are server benchmarks and not just any server—he ran them on server costing around USD 50,000:
Using the flagship dual socket Xeon Platinum 8380 configuration with 512GB of RAM and Intel Optane DC-P5800X (SSDPF21Q800GB) NVMe storage, a fresh Linux server performance comparison was conducted.
Benchmarks—in general but certainly server benchmarks—don't directly translate to how a user experiences responsiveness of the system. A desktop system spends most of its time idling, waiting for the user to click something.

I mean, if you have a USD 50,000 server in your basement that's running under load then sure take a look at the benchmarks which OS comes out as most energy efficient for your server's workload. But it doesn't matter for your energy bill which OS has the better performance in server benchmarks if it's a desktop system that spends most of its time idling. You might squeeze out a few extra FPS for CPU intensive games.

Clear Linux compiles the software in its repositories (about 5% of the software available on Linux Mint, and it has a focus on server software) with more aggressive optimizations for Intel CPUs than Ubuntu and others do. You can't repeat that for the entire OS on Linux Mint. You'd have to switch to Clear Linux.

There are other things you can do to increase performance but the most impactful difference you can make on a desktop system is probably its hardware. Upgrade to have enough RAM (8 GB or more) and replace hard disks with SSDs.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

These are some safe speed tweaks that you can apply in Linux Mint:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:37 pm I think you're letting the numbers run around with you :) These are server benchmarks and not just any server—he ran them on server costing around USD 50,000:
Using the flagship dual socket Xeon Platinum 8380 configuration with 512GB of RAM and Intel Optane DC-P5800X (SSDPF21Q800GB) NVMe storage, a fresh Linux server performance comparison was conducted
Look at the processor specs:
xeon.png
lol--and that system runs a pair at 270W each.
I'll bet that puppy is noisy.
Last edited by Moem on Sun May 22, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed the quotes, so that every line that is not part of the quote, is outside of the quote tags.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ldcjmd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ldcjmd »

PLus ONE for SSD... but not just any SSD. If you want peformance, PAY for the known top models from Samsung (skip the Chinese stuff). *Update your machines UEFI to the Latest Version FIRST (*It ain't called BIOS anymore, even though it might still be listed as-such on your PC's support page)
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

ldcjmd wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:13 pm PLus ONE for SSD... but not just any SSD. If you want peformance, PAY for the known top models from Samsung (skip the Chinese stuff). *Update your machines UEFI to the Latest Version FIRST (*It ain't called BIOS anymore, even though it might still be listed as-such on your PC's support page)
Dear ldcjmd, using SSD will improve both linux mint and clear linux. so the performance difference between them, the gap, remains!!!
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

xenopeek wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:37 pm 1- I think you're letting the numbers run around with you :)
2- he ran them on server costing around USD 50,000
Hi xenopeek
1- maybe! :)
2- Does it affect the reliability and validity of the benchmark? i mean, the 50,000 $ system is used for both ubuntu and clear linux. so if the hardware power helps clear linux, it should also helps ubuntu. am i correct?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

xenopeek wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:37 pm I think you're letting the numbers run around with you :) These are server benchmarks and not just any server—he ran them on server costing around USD 50,000:
Using the flagship dual socket Xeon Platinum 8380 configuration with 512GB of RAM and Intel Optane DC-P5800X (SSDPF21Q800GB) NVMe storage, a fresh Linux server performance comparison was conducted.
Benchmarks—in general but certainly server benchmarks—don't directly translate to how a user experiences responsiveness of the system. A desktop system spends most of its time idling, waiting for the user to click something....
Thank you for injecting some sense.

If you want to really increase performance, 1) get a SSD 2) cram as much memory in there as possible.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

The difference would be negligible on any normal PC, and by normal I mean anything ranging from £50 charity shop find, to a £3000 gaming PC.

When you say configs, do you mean basically changing the entire operating system to run like another? Debian based systems are often described as "bloaty", but in real life you can't tell the performance difference, and we just have an overall easier time.

To answer the question of how to get better performance in Linux Mint, would be to suggest getting a better computer, or upgrading it.

If you have a machine that has a specific use case and could benefit from the increased performance, then you should use the best software for the task, which may be a different distribution than LM. If it's a general purpose, work, gaming, fun, desktop PC then I'd argue that's too far, and you should run what you like.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Nikolai5 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am The difference would be negligible on any normal PC, and by normal I mean anything ranging from £50 charity shop find, to a £3000 gaming PC.
Exactly.
Studio pros may occasionally benefit from those specs,
but most common users would not perceive

For non-pro usage graphics power overshadows processor specs
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

all41 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 pm
Nikolai5 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am The difference would be negligible on any normal PC, and by normal I mean anything ranging from £50 charity shop find, to a £3000 gaming PC.
Exactly.
So,
Look at here:
Even With A $199 Laptop, Clear Linux Can Offer Superior Performance To Fedora Or Ubuntu
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ah, we get a link again. Not that I'm going to read it, because I frankly don't care. The performance of my laptop with Mint is just fine.
I'm wondering why you seem to care so much. I frankly don't understand at all.
Is your machine not performing to your satisfaction? Forget benchmarks, is it feeling sluggish in your day to day use?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Asked & answered:
  • You can't turn Linux Mint into Clear Linux, you'd have to recompile all software on your system with the same Intel CPU optimizations that Intel uses on Clear Linux
  • The $199 laptop comparison shows—as I predicted—some few extra FPS on games
  • Other synthetic benchmarks differences will be hardly, if at all, noticeable in real-world use
  • As answered before: if you want to make Linux Mint faster the most noticeable performance improvement in real-world use is replacing hard disk with SSD and ensuring system has enough RAM for your typical workload
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I agree with the SSD recommendation. You could even rely on the SSD, without getting more RAM, unless OP has extremely low amounts and/or high workloads. SSDs are so blazingly fast, and these days, very cheap. You can get a 128G SSD for £20 or so over in the UK. Granted, not all places have things like that priced so well.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Termy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:49 pm I agree with the SSD recommendation. You could even rely on the SSD, without getting more RAM, unless OP has extremely low amounts and/or high workloads. SSDs are so blazingly fast, and these days, very cheap. You can get a 128G SSD for £20 or so over in the UK. Granted, not all places have things like that priced so well.
ssd would be the most noticeable improvement
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

ilAli wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:53 am
all41 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 pm
Exactly.
So,
Look at here:
Even With A $199 Laptop, Clear Linux Can Offer Superior Performance To Fedora Or Ubuntu
It's a good read--thanks for the link
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:16 am
Ah, we get a link again. Not that I'm going to read it...
Yeah, it's looking a bit spammy here. But I did read it and those differences aren't going to be noticeable.

The truth is this. All Linux distros use the same kernels, the Linux Kernel Project is a separate project. They all use the same other components really. Differences in performance among distros, at least using the same desktop environment, are greatly exaggerated.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”