Missing Downloads folder (Resolved)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Missing Downloads folder (Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

When I started one of my desktop systems this morning my pCloud cloud storage system did not start. When I started to trace the reason I found that the "Downloads" folder was missing. pCloud has its starting file in that folder so it could not start, the folder was there yesterday because everything worked so what would cause a folder to go missing overnight when the system was turned off.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Missing Downloads folder

Post by karlchen »

GELvdH wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:42 am so what would cause a folder to go missing overnight when the system was turned off.
The most likely reason is that someone unknowingly and unwillingly moved the folder "Downloads" into the trashbin. Of course, before the system was turned off for the night.
Hm. Maybe even a tiny little bit more likely than the scenario above: Someone unknowingly and unwillingly moved the folder "Downloads" into some other folder. So "Downloads" would still exist, only in the wrong base folder. Again, of course, this mistake happened, before the system was turned off for the night.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Missing Downloads folder

Post by GELvdH »

Tried both "Find" and "Locate", neither could find the folder. It was not in the trash bin. :?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Missing Downloads folder (Resolved)

Post by Cosmo. »

One is for sure: Overnight and with the system shut off there has nothing happened. Guaranteed.
So the problem took place either yesterday or this morning. Only you know, what you did.

Easiest way would be, if a backup would exist. I hardly dare to ask, if it is the case. With a backup the solution is easy.

A chance might be, that the folder Downloads has been unwillingly renamed and moved anywhere. That leaves a chance. As you cannot know, how it is named now do a search for the file you are missing inside.

Another possibility is, that you deleted the file without the trash bin. There are tools like Testdisk and PhotoRec, perhaps you have luck. If you use a SSD the chances are very low.

Return to “Other topics”