Linux Mint Box Availability

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
the5thlaw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Box Availability

Post by the5thlaw »

Was doing some "googling" and saw that there was such a thing as a Linux Box. I have a Chrome Box now, but it's getting long in the tooth, and I'm getting tired of battling Chrome and Google.

I would love to drop the Chrome Box off at a recycle place, and get a Linux Box with Linux mint preinstalled, and to have Linux Mint get some of the proceeds of the sale. But no one has them anymore. Is this a "do deal" and never again to see the light of day; or a "china" supply problem???

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint Box Availability

Post by SMG »

the5thlaw wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:01 pmI would love to drop the Chrome Box off at a recycle place, and get a Linux Box with Linux mint preinstalled, and to have Linux Mint get some of the proceeds of the sale. But no one has them anymore. Is this a "do deal" and never again to see the light of day; or a "china" supply problem???
Are you referring to the links in the Linux Mint Store? You would have to check with the vendors with regards to supply. The page has links for MintBox, MintBox Mini, and Computer and Laptops. Click through to find vendor information and links for each.

The Linux Mint team only creates the software. They are not in the hardware business.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You could shop for the best machine in your city then donate some of the savings to LM. Lots of people donate $5 occasionally as listed in the monthly newsletter. Microsoft charges manufacturers about $10 for the Windows installed on the hardware. $5 is half the cost of Windows.

I find the small Mint box/NUC approach expensive in our area even before you add the disk etc. For something like a file server or to just read email, a second hand notebook plugged into the power is a better deal.

I sometimes buy the latest model notebook when in the clearance sale because the manufacturer changed the packaging. In one case, I purchased a notebook well over $2,000 for just $1,000. Second hand the same machine in good condition is now $200. You get the computer, screen, keyboard, disk, and everything in one box. The battery provides the UPS backup. Locally, a replace battery is about $90. I avoid anything needing a new keyboard or screen.
colinp1234
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colinp1234 »

Or.....you could get your ChromeBox set up with Mint. Go to Mr Chromebox's site https://mrchromebox.tech/#fwscript and see if you can make it happen. I did that with my Dell ChromeBox that Google had kicked to the curb and it makes a nice little media/streamer HTPC.

Return to “Other topics”