[SOLVED] Unable to launch Cinnamon session - not found, falling back to default session

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ohiitsmeizz
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Unable to launch Cinnamon session - not found, falling back to default session

Post by Ohiitsmeizz »

Hello, I have quite a problem.
I am a new mint user. my sound stopped working and I was looking for fixes online. I tried various things like reinstalling pulseaudio, updating kernels, all things I found in forums. The last thing I tried was purge pulseaudio in the terminal, and now I get the above message. If I press OK, the screen goes black and I can only see my cursor. I can't bring up the terminal with alt ctrl f1, so I have no idea of what to do. Any help, please?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Unable to launch Cinnamon session - not found, falling back to default session

Post by sleeper12 »

You can try Lord Boltars's solution here, 2nd post down:
viewtopic.php?t=273579

If not that, you may need to reinstall Mint. See what others have to say.
Ohiitsmeizz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to launch Cinnamon session - not found, falling back to default session

Post by Ohiitsmeizz »

Hi yep, that's one of the ones I had seen but I can't bring up the terminal with ctrl alt f1 so it's a no go, unfortunately. Any other ideas?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Boot the live system, which you had used to install Mint. Open in the menu Timeshift and restore a snapshot. You need to point to the partition, where the snapshots are stored.
Ohiitsmeizz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ohiitsmeizz »

That worked, sound is fixed too. Thanks so much!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Edit your first post & add 'Solved' to the Subject line.
Ohiitsmeizz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to launch Cinnamon session - not found, falling back to default session

Post by Ohiitsmeizz »

4sho
Luke
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to launch Cinnamon session - not found, falling back to default session

Post by Luke »

Dear fellow Linux Mint users,

with regards to Lord Boltar's solution: It saved me so much time and trouble that I just registered to say thank you, and add a little detail to give something back. So thank you, @Lord Boltar (can we do user mentions in this forum?).

The little detail that might be helpful for others reading his post (second post at viewtopic.php?t=273579 ): You can do a reboot simply by typing "reboot" (or "shutdown -h now").

Also, if you are running non-English systems, your desktop might end up empty after the procedure. In that case, check your home directory for your non-English desktop folder (e.g., "Schreibtisch" as the German word for desktop), then move the files to ~/Desktop (or link Desktop to your other desktop folder). There probably are more elegant solutions, however, this seems to fix the issue.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Luke wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:07 am can we do user mentions in this forum?
No, that doesn't really do anything here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Other topics”