shut down problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

shut down problem

Postby mickel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:02 pm

I'm using an Hp desktop Celeron coppermine 667 with i 810 and 384 ram .

Mint3.0 runs perfectly and I like it best of all distros. Only problem is at normal shutdown it hangs at final "Mint" screen and will not shut down. I read the answer given suggesting editing the shut down sequence and I tried it several times but I'm just not geekey enough to fix it. (willing but too dumb)
I need a step by step instruction or assurance by someone knowledgeable that it won't hurt anything if I just turn it off at this final screen.

ps all othe distros show me as having hda and Mint shows me as having sda ? why is that I wonder?
Thanks for any help

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Welcome ti Mint mickel
To begin with the easy part - hda changing to sda has to do with the new kernel naming drives sda instead of hda - but not always - it's a bit confusing.
You don't hurt anything as long as you turn off the computer when it's idle (even when the desktop is shown - but I don't recommend it)
As you have an old computer I think this helps:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... hut&t=3580
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

mickel
Level 1
Level 1

shutdown problem

Postby mickel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:07 pm

well you were right ! I had seen this solution before and tried it but I could never get to the place where I added the line of code. After your post I went back and tried again , and again etc. and finally I got it right and viola ! it worked.
Question: I typed" sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst " exactly the same way, several times and only after 5 or 6 times did I get the sought after response. ?
Question two: in the solution you refer to , the writer has a newer kernel and it is labeled Cassandra kernel 2.16.21. and mine is generic 2.16.20. How is this when they are both 3.0 +
Thanks

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:54 am

To start with the second question, it is
title Cassandra, kernel 2.6.21.5

You can put anything as title - My favorite Linux - if you wish
The kernel is updated by the Update manager so Cassandra or Feisty may have several kernels depending on update or no update
I don't have an answer to sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst not working until your fifth try. But I think you did not type it exactly the same - it's so easy to miss a space or something
The terminal has an excellent history function. In a terminal press the up (or down arrows) and you'll see every command you've typed for a long time.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Other topics”