Chkdsk Linux equivalent for exfat?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spaceboy60
Level 1
Level 1

Chkdsk Linux equivalent for exfat?

Post by Spaceboy60 »

Ok I need to check an exfat volume for errors. What's the best way to go about this in Linux without having to reboot to Windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Chkdsk Linux equivalent for exfat?

Post by deck_luck »

You should read the fsck.exfat man page. It is a small man page and an easy ready. See the following example:

Code: Select all

$ man fsck.exfat 
$ sudo fsck.exfat -pv /dev/sdb2

exfatprogs version : 1.1.3
volume label [exFAT]
sector size:  512.00 B
cluster size: 32.00 KB
volume size:  547.00 MB
/dev/sdb2: clean. directories 1, files 1

$
The /dev/sdb2 is an example only, and your device name may be different. Use the sudo lsblk -f command to help identify your storage device name. Likewise, the file system should be unmounted before attempting the fsck.exfat command.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't have any exfat format stuff but in general there is simply no Linux equivalent for chkdsk. That's because the ntfs format is not fully documented. I've used Hiren's Boot Disk on a USB stick to fix ntfs formatted external HDs a couple of times because the Linux file system repair tools aren't reliable with ntfs. I solved that by formatting all my external drives to ext4 since I don't have any Windows anymore.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Spaceboy60
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spaceboy60 »

deck_luck wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:13 pm You should read the fsck.exfat man page. It is a small man page and an easy ready. See the following example:

Code: Select all

$ man fsck.exfat 
$ sudo fsck.exfat -pv /dev/sdb2

exfatprogs version : 1.1.3
volume label [exFAT]
sector size:  512.00 B
cluster size: 32.00 KB
volume size:  547.00 MB
/dev/sdb2: clean. directories 1, files 1

$
The /dev/sdb2 is an example only, and your device name may be different. Use the sudo lsblk -f command to help identify your storage device name. Likewise, the file system should be unmounted before attempting the fsck.exfat command.
OK, thanks

Return to “Other topics”