Right click options greyed out in mounted drive (or mounted volume)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GauravSahare27
Level 1
Level 1

Right click options greyed out in mounted drive (or mounted volume)

Post by GauravSahare27 »

I am using Linux Mint 20.3 in my Windows laptop, I installed Simple screen recorder from built-in "software manager" , I recorded some screen clips and automatically saved in "home\video" folder, but when I trying to move/paste these clips on new volume (mounted volume), then "paste" option greyed out, also some options like "create new folder" , "create new file" option also greyed out. I understand that there might be some issue related from permission due to partition type (NTFS or FAT or exFAT), but it's not a matter that what partition type (internal or external) we are using, options should not greyed out, I am trying to find answer in this forum, but no proper solution available.
Linux Mint updated a lot with much number of experience, but why some known issues appear even in stable build?
I hope someone will provide me proper solution. Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Right click options greyed out in mounted drive (or mounted volume)

Post by Dan-cer »

Welcome to this forum!

The drive has "only read" permission. The permissions need to be changed.

I've had that happen more than once. And it was due to Windows updates. An ntfs formatted data drive for both operating systems installed in parallel originally had all permissions.
Windows changed it several times at "suitable opportunity" to "only read". I then could not change it in Linux at all, but only in Windows.

Is the case similar for you? Or do you only have Linux on the computer?
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
GauravSahare27
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GauravSahare27 »

You are right, now I understood that 1st login to windows, create any file and folder in NTFS partition or drive, and delete the file and folder that created before, then login to Linux Mint, now problem is gone. :D
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Trying to save to an ntfs/exfat/fat partition and dual booting with win10? Have you disabled fast start in win? With it enabled it leaves any win filesystems in a locked state = read-only to linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Other topics”