Need libdc1394-22-dev for MATE 21. That possible? SOLVED

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Need libdc1394-22-dev for MATE 21. That possible? SOLVED

Post by solanic »

Hi there

libdc1394-22-dev is a library that is intended to provide a high level programming interface for application developers who wish to control IEEE 1394 based cameras that conform to the 1394-based Digital Camera Specification

It seems libdc1394-22-dev was dropped from MATE 21. I have 1 day experience in LM under my belt so far btw. :)

This package is required in the Vrui VR Development Toolkit.

I attempted these instructions which did not work.

sudo apt-get update -y

sudo apt-get install -y libdc1394-22-dev

Which got this result:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libdc1394-22-dev

Apparently libdc1394 has superseded libdc1394-22-dev.

I imagine, if me being a rookie at this, attempting to add to VRUI Development Toolkit would not be a smart way to go?
https://github.com/KeckCAVES/Vrui/tree/master/Vrui

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Need libdc1394-22-dev for MATE 21. That possible?

Post by rickNS »

It is from Ubuntu 20.04. ( the base for Mint 20)
However, I just installed it on a virtual machine of Mint 21 without issue.

First though there are a few other dependencies;
From your package manager search for, and install these packages; (or apt install)
libc6-dev
libraw1394-dev
(and also install their dependencies, which will be pointed out)

Then install the libdc1394-22 which is another depend. of libdc1394-22-dev.
Just click this link, save the file, and double click on it in your downloads folder, (EDIT, better to right click the link, and open in another tab)

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... _amd64.deb

Then finally, do the same with this one.

Done.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

THANK YOU!

Update:

These links recommended not to download due to "potential security risk".
I did download them of course.
Just click this link, save the file, and double click on it in your downloads folder, (EDIT, better to right click the link, and open in another tab)

Then finally, do the same with this one.

Then everything seemed like it was moving along successfully following instructions to download VRUI from these instructions:
Step 3: Install the Vrui VR Development Toolkit
https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/Re ... index.html

Then - a bunch of errors and

Code: Select all

Build unsucessful; please fix any reported errors and try again
ERRORS noted below:

Compiling Vrui/Vislets/IKAvatarRenderer.cpp...
In file included from Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:24:
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:41:9: error: ‘size_t’ does not name a type
   41 |         size_t historySize; // Default size of history buffer
      |         ^~~~~~
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:29:1: note: ‘size_t’ is defined in header ‘<cstddef>’; did you forget to ‘#include <cstddef>’?
   28 | #include <Vrui/Vislet.h>
  +++ |+#include <cstddef>
   29 | 
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:60:9: error: ‘size_t’ does not name a type
   60 |         size_t historySize; // Number of frame rate measurements in the history buffer
      |         ^~~~~~
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:60:9: note: ‘size_t’ is defined in header ‘<cstddef>’; did you forget to ‘#include <cstddef>’?
Compiling Vrui/Vislets/ImageViewer.cpp...
Compiling Vrui/Vislets/SceneGraphViewer.cpp...
Compiling Vrui/Vislets/ViewerConfiguration.cpp...
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In constructor ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewerFactory::FrameRateViewerFactory(Vrui::VisletManager&)’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:52:10: error: class ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewerFactory’ does not have any field named ‘historySize’
   52 |          historySize(1024)
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:64:9: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope
   64 |         historySize=cfs.retrieveValue<unsigned int>("./historySize",(unsigned int)(historySize));
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In constructor ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer::FrameRateViewer(int, const char* const*)’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:122:10: error: class ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer’ does not have any field named ‘historySize’
  122 |         :historySize(factory->historySize),
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:122:31: error: ‘class Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewerFactory’ has no member named ‘historySize’
      |                               ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:136:41: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
  136 |                                         historySize=atoi(arguments[i]);
      |                                         ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                         history
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:148:28: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
  148 |         history=new double[historySize];
      |                            ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                            history
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer::frame()’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:190:34: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
  190 |                 for(size_t i=1;i<historySize;++i)
      |                                  ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                  history
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer::display(GLContextData&) const’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:235:53: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
  235 |         double xs=double(ds.viewport[2])*0.8/double(historySize);
      |                                                     ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                                     history
make: *** [/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/BuildRoot/BasicMakefile:224: o/g++-3.g0.O3/pic/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Build unsuccessful; please fix any reported errors and try again
ars@ESPARSHP1:~$ https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/index.htmlhttps://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/index.htmlhttps://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/index.html
Would those be some kind of conflicts because of Mint MATE 21 and I need to communicate with developer in Github?

THANK YOU again for your help so far rickNS!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

First it seems your diving in deep for only your second day with Linux.

Lets start at the beginning,
what exactly are you trying to install ? The main thing that is.
Because the website you linked seems to be a "helper" toolbox type thing.
Also if I search the web for "Vruri" I get no results relating to a software package.

Is this the page you've been using for instruction,
https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/Re ... Guide.html
I'll give it a try myself a little later if so.

There may also be an "alternative to" this software that does not require building yourself ?

EDIT: just thought you might get more/better help if you ask a moderator to move this thread to "software & Applications".
To do so, click the exclaimation mark at top right to "report" the thread, and say you'd like it moved. Again just a thought.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

Soooo .... I had some skills for a few years late 90s into the aughts that I foolishly left lapse. Yikes.
HTML, CSS etc Built some stuff in PHP, was early to XML, shopping carts from scratch with 1000 sku, MySQL...all hand coding & hacking around etc. Used ubuntu 6.06.

Kids reading this - never ever let your coding skills lapse.

This is the project yes:
https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/Re ... index.html

It recommended 19 as you see and in my enthusiasm, mostly because of the date of support ending, I installed 21 - which - didn't have the libdc1394-22-dev I found out after trying to install the VRUI toolkit.

Here's a great place to see VRUI & the SARndbox code:
https://github.com/KeckCAVES

The teacher I'm working with and I have big goals for this fwiw.
Our step 1 is get this prototype working successfully. Hopefully that will help us expand our team and build more simulations into this toolkit.

VRUI toolkit seems to be the best available to build on top of as of today.

We really appreciate any and all help!!
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

Hi rickNS

Letting you know I need to move to 19.3 - with no success so far - instead of 21 as there’s too much work needed to update VRUI Toolkit for it to compatible as of this week.

Thank you for your help!
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

solanic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:03 pm Then - a bunch of errors and

ERRORS noted below:

/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:41:9: error: ‘size_t’ does not name a type
      |         ^~~~~~
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:29:1: note: ‘size_t’ is defined in header ‘<cstddef>’; did you forget to ‘#include <cstddef>’?
  +++ |+#include <cstddef>
   29 | 
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:60:9: error: ‘size_t’ does not name a type
   60 |         size_t historySize; // Number of frame rate measurements in the history buffer
      |         ^~~~~~
/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h:60:9: note: ‘size_t’ is defined in header ‘<cstddef>’; did you forget to ‘#include <cstddef>’?
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In constructor ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewerFactory::FrameRateViewerFactory(Vrui::VisletManager&)’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:52:10: error: class ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewerFactory’ does not have any field named ‘historySize’
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:64:9: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope
   64 |         historySize=cfs.retrieveValue<unsigned int>("./historySize",(unsigned int)(historySize));
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In constructor ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer::FrameRateViewer(int, const char* const*)’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:122:10: error: class ‘Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer’ does not have any field named ‘historySize’
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:122:31: error: ‘class Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewerFactory’ has no member named ‘historySize’
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:136:41: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:148:28: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer::frame()’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:190:34: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void Vrui::Vislets::FrameRateViewer::display(GLContextData&) const’:
Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.cpp:235:53: error: ‘historySize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘history’?
make: *** [/home/ars/src/Vrui-8.0-002/BuildRoot/BasicMakefile:224: o/g++-3.g0.O3/pic/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.o] Error 1
ars@ESPARSHP1:~$ https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/index.htmlhttps://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/index.htmlhttps://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/index.html
The error code is asking you to add a line of

#include <cstddef>
below

#include <Vrui/Vislet.h>
inside file Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h

All the subsequent errors are escalation of that. It could be older g++ compiler allow such omission while newer g++ disallow that. Since you are compiling from source anyway, let just add that back. Battling LM19.3 onto a new PC or even downgrading g++ (which I suggested in another thread) is too much an effort compared to simply fixing this little piece of code. Or if you have any worry, show upstream the VRUI team your error message received, ask them to add that and update the source tarball.
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

billyswong wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 am
solanic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:03 pm Then - a bunch of errors and

ERRORS noted below:

|         ^~~~~~
  +++ |+#include <cstddef>
   29 | 
      |         ^~~~~~
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~
The error code is asking you to add a line of

#include <cstddef>
below

#include <Vrui/Vislet.h>
inside file Vrui-8.0-002/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h

All the subsequent errors are escalation of that. It could be older g++ compiler allow such omission while newer g++ disallow that. Since you are compiling from source anyway, let just add that back. Battling LM19.3 onto a new PC or even downgrading g++ (which I suggested in another thread) is too much an effort compared to simply fixing this little piece of code. Or if you have any worry, show upstream the VRUI team your error message received, ask them to add that and update the source tarball.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I will share that info!

As of today I'm not confident enough to work on the tarball and I will work on that too.

THANK YOU again billyswong
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

UPDATE: Attempt to add libdc1394-25-dev from suggestion in DOC-OK forum.

We attempted a hard drive swap with no success. Which we believe with our skills is 99% directly related to this:

I see several discussions about changing the hard drive interface in BIOS to fix the missing drive on Ubuntu, et al. The following thread has one of the more explicit fixes and explanations. https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/cant-se ... ll/18463/3

For those just seeing this thread, we are using PC Dr Oliver mentioned he bought here:
http://doc-ok.org/?topic=current-comput ... ar-sandbox

/

libdc1394-25-dev ATTEMPT:
Another possible avenue with your local Linux Mint expert: use a fresh, clean LM21 and try to manually build Vrui, etc. The “Unable to locate package libdc1394-22-dev” is specific to using Build-Ubuntu.sh. Or edit Build-Ubuntu.sh to install libdc1394-25-dev instead.
RESULT:

GNU nano 6.2                                            Build-Ubuntu.sh *                                                   
#!/bin/bash

# Get prerequisite packages:
<libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libasound2-dev libspeex-dev libopenal-dev libv4l-dev libdc1394-25-dev libtheora-dev libbluetooth-dev>
echo "Please enter your password to install Vrui's prerequisite packages"
sudo apt-get install $PREREQUISITE_PACKAGES
INSTALL_RESULT=$?

if [ $INSTALL_RESULT -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Problem while downloading prerequisite packages; please fix the issue and try again"
        exit $INSTALL_RESULT
fi

# Create src directory:
echo "Creating source code directory $HOME/src"
cd $HOME
mkdir src
cd src
CD_RESULT=$?

if [ $CD_RESULT -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Could not create source code directory $HOME/src. Please fix the issue and try again"
        exit $CD_RESULT
fi

# Determine current Vrui version:
VRUI_CURRENT_RELEASE=$(wget -q -O - http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/Vrui/CurrentVruiRelease.txt)
GETVERSION_RESULT=$?
if [ $GETVERSION_RESULT -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Could not determine current Vrui release number; please check your network connection and try again"
        exit $GETVERSION_RESULT
fi
read VRUI_VERSION VRUI_RELEASE <<< "$VRUI_CURRENT_RELEASE"

# Download and unpack Vrui tarball:
echo "Downloading Vrui-$VRUI_VERSION-$VRUI_RELEASE into $HOME/src"
wget -O - http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/Vrui/Vrui-$VRUI_VERSION-$VRUI_RELEASE.tar.gz | tar xfz -
cd Vrui-$VRUI_VERSION-$VRUI_RELEASE
DOWNLOAD_RESULT=$?

if [ $DOWNLOAD_RESULT -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Problem while downloading or unpacking Vrui; please check your network connection and try again"
        exit $DOWNLOAD_RESULT
fi

# Set up Vrui's installation directory:
VRUI_INSTALLDIR=/usr/local
if [ $# -ge 1 ]; then
        VRUI_INSTALLDIR=$1
The thread at DOC-OK Forum: http://doc-ok.org/?topic=vrui-unable-to ... #post-2198

VRUI Toolkit in Github: https://github.com/KeckCAVES/Vrui/issues

Also: There is BIOS & MOK issues trying to get LM 19.3 & 20.1 to see the HP i3 Victus with 1650 graphic card hard drive.
solanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solanic »

billyswong wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 am
SOLVED! Thank you billyswong & Sean of http://doc-ok.org/?topic=vrui-unable-to ... #post-2212

Build-Ubuntu.sh

Get prerequisite packages:

# Install Vrui example applications
echo "Build successful; installing Vrui example programs in $VRUI_INSTALLDIR"
if [ $INSTALL_NEEDS_SUDO -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "If prompted, please enter your password again to install Vrui's example applications in $VRUI_INSTALLDIR"
        sudo make VRUI_MAKEDIR=$VRUI_MAKEDIR INSTALLDIR=$VRUI_INSTALLDIR install
else
        make VRUI_MAKEDIR=$VRUI_MAKEDIR INSTALLDIR=$VRUI_INSTALLDIR install
fi
INSTALL_RESULT=$?

if [ $INSTALL_RESULT -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Could not install Vrui example programs in $VRUI_INSTALLDIR. Please fix the issue and try again"
        exit $INSTALL_RESULT
fi

# Run ShowEarthModel
echo "Running ShowEarthModel application. Press Esc or close the window to exit."
cd $HOME
$VRUI_INSTALLDIR/bin/ShowEarthModel

"~/Desktop/Ryans/Build-Ubuntu.sh" 129L, 4644B                 129,0-1       Bot
Fix-missing-size_t.patch

--- a/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h    2019-07-17 13:48:41.000000000 -0700
+++ b/Vrui/Vislets/FrameRateViewer.h    2022-08-24 09:05:57.472284693 -0700
@@ -27,6 +27,8 @@
 #include <GL/GLNumberRenderer.h>
 #include <Vrui/Vislet.h>

+#include <cstddef>
+