On Mint 21, several services fail

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BeyondLies_MintForum
Level 3
Level 3

On Mint 21, several services fail

Post by BeyondLies_MintForum »

I upgraded Mint 20.3 Cinnamon to Mint 21 Cinnamon. I notice that, thereafter, several services fail. I do not know what those services do. Can anyone shed light?

Code: Select all

$ sudo systemctl --failed
  UNIT             LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                                     
● ua-timer.service loaded failed failed Ubuntu Advantage Timer for running repeated jobs
I saw similar messages for a service called 'casper-md5check' (but I reset that service and so do not expect to see the error message until I reboot and run sudo systemctl --failed again). I think there was some other service - another one to do with 'casper'? - affected too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: On Mint 21, several services fail

Post by deepakdeshp »

Were the services working in 20.3? What process did you use to upgrade? Did you use https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4378
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
BeyondLies_MintForum
Level 3
Level 3

@deepakdeshp

Thanks for the reply.

I performed the update via the mintupdate program.

Before the update, those services were either (1) absent or (2) working. For, I have a script that tells me periodically if any service has failed; and on Mint 20.3 that service was reporting no problem.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I suggest a fresh install of 21 for testing. Installing in a Virtual machine would be easy and painless,provided your hardware can run 2 oss concurrently.
Best luck.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

BeyondLies_MintForum
Level 3
Level 3

I compared my service situation, on Mint 21, with a PC running Mint 20.3. (That latter PC runs well but has been fairly severely tweaked.)

I found that, on Mint 20.3, the following failing-on-21 services were enabled and running.

ua-timer.service
casper.service
cgconfigparser.service
cgrulesgend.service.

Now, Mint's Clem seems to say that the caspar service can be disabled safely. I inferred from that - and admittedly it is a bit of leap - that I would try 'masking' all of those services on Mint 21. So I did this:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl reset-failed
sudo systemctl mask --now ua-timer.service
sudo systemctl mask --now casper.service
sudo systemctl mask --now cgconfigparser.service
sudo systemctl mask --now cgrulesgend.service.
I will see whether everything works.

viewtopic.php?t=274420
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If everything is working as per expectations,why bother about failed services?
Regards,
Deepak

sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

Hello, many people ask, after updating the system to version 21. On my laptop, 10 percent of the programs do not work!, I will write a new topic in time, there are many questions..! 8) 8)
Man is created for happiness, like a bird for flight, so do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

In version 21 some programs installed earlier from a ppa may not work. May take time for the developers to let it to Mint 21.
Regards,
Deepak

BeyondLies_MintForum
Level 3
Level 3

'If everything is working as per expectations,why bother about failed services?' Here is why. The failure of a service might indicate a problem. It is because failed services might indicate a problem that I have my computer tell me if and when there is a failed service. (I have a lua script that works with a conky.) If I start ignoring such warnings, then the warning mechanism becomes useless.

Return to “Other topics”