Strange e-mail address

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Strange e-mail address

Post by lsemmens »

I get a "bounced message" from my mail server - hotmail that mobolowon147@gmail.com was undeliverable. I've got no issue with that as I have no idea who this "person" is. The question that springs to mind, though, is is this some form of scam along the lines of "FBI query", "You've won money", etc? or is there something that is sending messages as me? How can I test this?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Stange e-mail address

Post by RIH »

Is it actually from your mail server is where I would start.
If that URL looked suspicious then that would be enough for me that the complete thing is a ploy to get you involved with them.
In that case, silence, i.e. ignore them, is the best plan..
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

RIH wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:11 am In that case, silence, i.e. ignore them, is the best plan..
Or create a filter, if you use an e-mail client, which deletes mails from this sender automatically. Possibly your mail-provider has a similar option.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I know where you are coming from, Just did some testing and it does, indeed, appear to be spam. Problem is, I do occasionally send e-mails to people who, for some reason bounce e-mails. Thanks again for your help.
Fully mint Household
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

This has popped up again, problem is the bounced message does, in fact, come from my email server. This time, however it was from my gMail server. (just thinking that I was mistaken first time and it was gMail in the OP. The curious thing is that there are attached two emails I sent yesterday both BCC'd but no indication of either address in the message, the attachment just shows up blank. Still the same eMail address, full text is:

Code: Select all

The following message to <mobolowowon147@gmail.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) [Default] 450-'4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that\n4.2.1 prevents additional messages from being delivered. Please resend your\n4.2.1 message at a later time. If the user is able to receive mail at that\n4.2.1 time, your message will be delivered. For more information, please\n4.2.1 visit\n4.2.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ReceivingRate n2-20020a170902d2c200b0017a0e8713cesi22734011plc.452 - gsmtp'

Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp688out1.syd.oss-core.net

Final-Recipient: rfc822;mobolowowon147@gmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [74.125.24.26]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) [Default] 450-'4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that\n4.2.1 prevents additional messages from being delivered. Please resend your\n4.2.1 message at a later time. If the user is able to receive mail at that\n4.2.1 time, your message will be delivered. For more information, please\n4.2.1 visit\n4.2.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ReceivingRate n2-20020a170902d2c200b0017a0e8713cesi22734011plc.452 - gsmtp' (delivery attempts: 77)
Fully mint Household
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:44 am This has popped up again, problem is the bounced message does, in fact, come from my email server.
How are you sending the email? Are you using Evolution or Thunderbird or just a web browser?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Strange e-mail address

Post by lsemmens »

Using Thunderbird, in the past I have had troubles sending to my BIL, but, usually His e-mail server responds with an error message coupled with his address. This gives no indication of his address, or any other one for that fact, so I am wondering if it were a genuine message or not. I've just had a thought, I might re-send the email asking for a delivery receipt from the people on the list and see who misses out.
Fully mint Household
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

RIH wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:11 am.
In that case, silence, i.e. ignore them, is the best plan..
Pretty much applies to all unsolicited emails and people you do not have business with already and is very good advice.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:03 am Using Thunderbird, in the past I have had troubles sending to my BIL, but, usually His e-mail server responds with an error message coupled with his address. This gives no indication of his address, or any other one for that fact
I do not understand what you mean that this does not give an address? You titled this topic "Strange e-mail address" and listed the address which is in the message you posted <mobolowowon147@gmail.com>.

Have you checked to see if that email address is in your Thunderbird Address Book?

I did a search on that email address and found it on Scam Watcher as a "spy address". I do not know what that term means and this is the first time I've heard of Scam Watcher. The comment is:
someone seems to use this email address as redirection, for spying users incoming email (with redirection to gmail).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Apparently, you or other people, are trying to send an old message to "<mobolowowon147@gmail.com>".

If it is you, and if you are not doing this voluntarily, an unwanted program tries to send mails using your mail server. Check your outgoing connections with Snort or any program of the same kind.

If it is other people:

- It maybe through your mail server; in that case, change the password and increase its security, limiting its incoming connections to your computer(s) with a firewall; once more, using Snort on your mail server might help to confirm or not the problem.

- or these people are spoofing your mail server address (in the "reply-to" field), and the server of "<mobolowowon147@gmail.com>", i.e. gmail server, sends a non-delivery message to your mail server, believing mails come from it; in that case you should add an SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record to your domain name (see: https://dnschecker.org/spf-record-valid ... %20domain.) to avoid spoofing and avoid your mails rejection as spam.
This is probably the problem, more and more frequently seen.

Regards,

MN
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks Mike, shall investigate.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Other topics”