Minimize anything and its gone

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
maprx
Level 1
Level 1

Minimize anything and its gone

Postby maprx » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:19 pm

Well that sums it up, my desktop has become corrupt. If I min a window, open firefox in front of another ap, that ap is gone and so is all the other windows of firefox if i min them as well. My desktop has beome corrupt, any ideas before a complete reinstall?

Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Minimize anything and its gone

Postby Dr.U » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 am

maprx wrote:Well that sums it up, my desktop has become corrupt. If I min a window, open firefox in front of another ap, that ap is gone and so is all the other windows of firefox if i min them as well. My desktop has beome corrupt, any ideas before a complete reinstall?

Some more information would be useful: e.g. are you using KDE or Gnome or something else?

I use Gnome and would suggest that you first check that your panel still has a "windows list" as this is where your minimized apps "go" (i.e. this is where you still can see them for popping them up again). If you are not sure if a window list is there, try adding one anyway. This is how it's done with Gnome:

1. Right-click (if you use a left-handed mouse then left-click) on the panel to get the panel's context menu

2. Select "Add to Panel..."

3. In the "Desktop & Windows" section select "Windows List"

4. Click on the button "Add"

Now try starting something (e.g. a text editor) and then try minimizing it. If you still do not see it in the panel, then something else is wrong.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A child of five would understand this! Send someone
to fetch a child of five." -- Groucho Marx

surfer57
Level 1
Level 1

Postby surfer57 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 am

Perfect solution going to panel and adding window list....thank you....I am not worthy!

Return to “Other topics”