Copy HD bit by bit

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Copy HD bit by bit

Post by Gunter »

So, with the criteria of FAST FORMAT and RAW COPY, what's the thing to use, and how to use it?
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

For the very first thing, which is creating a perfect bit-by-bit copy of the original, my opinion would be safecopy - as mentioned in the beginning. The link should contain enough information on how to use it; most likely the use of the --sync parameter would be necessary.
For restoring the previous file system maybe TestDisk would do, or one of the disk utilities on aforementioned Hiren's Boot CD.
Personally I haven't used any of these tools directly so can't provide any in-depth advice on their usage.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

If I knew for certain it was Win7 on that disk I would try the Windows
boot repair (install disk) on the clone
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Gunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gunter »

Drugwash: I downloaded safecopy and read part of the README - methinks this is a little above my abilities. Will need to read the options again to see if I can find the appropriate ones. I'm NOT a programmer :)
all41: I like the idea. I think there's a way to find out which Windows version it was.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Gunter wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:31 am I downloaded safecopy and read part of the README
Try to read further down where it provides direct examples for various use cases. Do read carefully, without haste. :wink:

Windows has a nasty habit of writing to a drive in certain situations so I would advise against using a Windows environment for the recovery attempt. But that's just me. Either way good luck! 8)

Return to “Other topics”