Laptop Batteries

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MattC3
Level 2
Level 2

Laptop Batteries

Post by MattC3 »

Hi,

Not strictly a Linux Mint question. I'm in the UK and was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions as to a reputable replacement battery outlet. I'm always wary about purchasing electrical goods online, but I need a few replacement batteries and I'm unable to find a known reliable source. Some of the equipment is quite old.

Thanks

Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Sat May 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Laptop Batteries

Post by gittiest personITW »

I''m sure you'll get a few replies but when it comes down to it you know as well as everyone else that branded batteries are 'less likely' to go bad quickly, explode etc.

As tempting as it is to use cheapies, even reputable ones, I'd never really trust it enough to leave it charging overnight by my bedside while sleeping or while I'm out. Even reviews aren't really that trustworthy.

Doesn't answer your question though.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:05 pm I''m sure you'll get a few replies but when it comes down to it you know as well as everyone else that branded batteries are 'less likely' to go bad quickly, explode etc.

As tempting as it is to use cheapies, even reputable ones, I'd never really trust it enough to leave it charging overnight by my bedside while sleeping or while I'm out. Even reviews aren't really that trustworthy.

Doesn't answer your question though.
as a user of laptops,, and IT Tech taking care of them, with my employer since 1991 through 2011,
and my own personal experience with laptops.

this is the Truth.
the look alikes are a waste of money, and in some cases, dangerous to your life,
that might be from a fire that burns down your home, are an explosion that throws liquid Lithium everywhere..
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MattC3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MattC3 »

Thanks.
gittiest personITW wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:05 pm branded batteries are 'less likely' to go bad quickly, explode etc.
Unfortunately, it's difficult to know whether the battery your purchasing is a genuine branded one or not, unless it comes from a reliable source. This is one of the reasons I don't like getting electrical goods from places like ebay, etc.
AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:49 pm the look alikes are a waste of money, and in some cases, dangerous to your life,
Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, if I want the items to work and originals are not available any more, then I'll have to go with the more risky alternative. However, I want to limit that risk - hence the question.

I've been looking at a website for batteries that would supply me with all the ones I need, but I've nothing to base reliability on. It's battery.uk.com . Any thoughts? Or indeed, anything better/more reliable?

Matt
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MattC3 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:22 pm Thanks.

I've been looking at a website for batteries that would supply me with all the ones I need, but I've nothing to base reliability on. It's battery.uk.com . Any thoughts? Or indeed, anything better/more reliable?

Matt
With a good vendor like that, I would have more faith in the Product,
here on the wrong side of the pond, I use https://www.batteriesplus.com/ and have never had a "bad battery' no matter what brand I chose.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MattC3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MattC3 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:56 pm With a good vendor like that, I would have more faith in the Product
You seem fairly confident. Forgive me for asking, but what do you base this confidence on? This is not intended to be rude; I am genuinely interested.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MattC3 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:40 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:56 pm With a good vendor like that, I would have more faith in the Product
You seem fairly confident. Forgive me for asking, but what do you base this confidence on? This is not intended to be rude; I am genuinely interested.
I have purchased several motorcycle batteries from them, each a different brand, I always go for the Maximum CCA at the cheapest price, and not one of them has failed.

the best bang for my buck, has been the "MotoBatt" brand, which is an AGM battery.

my ThinkPad E550 needs a new battery, and I am going to see if they have a replacement it, if they do, I will purchase one from them, rather than take a chance on something from Amazon, my luck there has been sketchy with certain types of products.

as it happens, they do, for $99
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/com12906
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

branded batteries are 'less likely' to go bad quickly, explode etc.
Except for Apple ear buds, one model of iPhone, and Tesla cars.

Australia has good consumer laws. If you buy the alternatives from an established Australian supplier, they are about half the cost of the branded model and last the same time. I replaced several laptop and notebook batteries without problems. Among the people I know who bought cheap imports, they ended up paying almost the same price as I paid, received a battery with significantly less capacity, and the batteries faded in less than a year instead of lasting more than three years.

Support for a product is helped by strong consumer laws wherever you live. Our laws apply when we buy locally and the company still exists when you claim on the guarantee. That rules out Ebay and a few other sources.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

branded batteries are 'less likely' to go bad quickly, explode etc.
Except for Apple ear buds, one model of iPhone, and Tesla cars.
I did say 'less likely'.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Batteries for what? I've bought third party batteries for my thinkpad T430 off amazon and not had issues (genuine lenovo are very expensive). Just bought a couple of batteries for my UPS, Yuasa, a known quality brand.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Other topics”