Multi touchscreen kiosk

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skifter
Level 1
Level 1

Multi touchscreen kiosk

Post by skifter »

Hello,
I've got an unusual application I can't decide which way to go. I'm hoping for some suggestions of which way might be best, or some solution I haven't realized is possible. I love linux, but the possibilities are overwheming at times! :)

We need to drive 8 monitors with one PC, but 4 of them are touchscreens that will be running firefox is kiosk mode. The hardware I have for this supports only 2 GPUs, which are both Quadro T1000.

I had been planning on running each touchscreen on a separate seat, but I now realize this is probably impossible with only 2 GPUs.

My next guess is to try to setup all of this as a single desktop or one on each GPU, and make new pointers for each touchscreen to control. I like this idea but worry about fullscreen firefox windows not getting launched to the right spots if even one monitor isn't running right. It has been quite a while since I've had to force windows to specific locations on a desktop and I never have tried in Cinnamon (what I currently have installed).

I was going to try to power on the big monitors via CEC control, but it seems I can't use cec-utils for that on a multiheaded card. This won't really be a problem, but if anyone has a solution to turn on and change input on some Scepter TVs (used as monitors only via HDMI) I'm going to want to try it out!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Other topics”