IRC Help

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

IRC Help

Post by MintyFree »

Alright, so I e-Mailed someone saying that I didn't like a moderator, a formal complaint. Then I get banned from the IRC by the dude I wrote the complaint about. The person I sent the e-Mail to never responded and when I PM'd the Mod/Admin (not sure his title) he didn't respond. The dude who banned me was named ikey. Would I be able to report him? He just randomly banned me even though I was idle for a while.
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: IRC Help

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hello MintyFree,

I am also a moderator on the IRC Channel for Linux Mint. I'm sure if ikey banned you, he had some justification. He is also active on the forums so I'm sure he can reply to this thread. Just in case your nickname on the IRC was different, can you please state your nickname on the IRC channels and the date of when you were banned.

Thanks.

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

my nick went from 'saint-lucifer' (that's what my username is on my computer, named after the Ubuntu SE edition) to 'McJager' or 'McJagar' and I was banned today.
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory

tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tawan »

Reading the logs this is a common problem. The person will not accept a point and move on and instead we have it dragged out until a ban has to occur.

If they persist in arguing in an open forum then they are trolling if nothing else and have to be dealt with.

MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

How am I a troll? I did nothing troll like. I was in #chat, I'm not allowed to have discussions in #chat? I wasn't even talking to ikey directly plus he banned me some time after I idle'd and you guys read right over where other people semi-agreed with me.

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

Actually I must applaud ikey for his patience!

As a past moderator of many torrent site irc channels and founder of the now defunct "Dodge_Dudes" IRC Network, the way you were "carrying on" would have gotten you banned after kick 1 (under me) and you insisted on coming back and starting again in another channel, not to mention the fact that you seemed to drag another user into the convo and made it personal. YOU MUST REMEMBER the irc is just like an open web forum, you have no idea what someone's beliefs are, so everything must remain neutral as possible. Also there are some networks with bots in place that wouldn't even let you join with a couple of nicks you have used for the same neutrality reason as mentioned earlier.

It is my opinion that when instances like this start up and result to the actions taken (though in this case proper), it "wears" on a person especially when they are deep thought when trying to actually to do what the channel is for #linuxmint-help. Most servers carry a time-limit on bans, my advice to you would be to take a couple days, cool off, and try again but this time, don't screw up. ikey showed tremendous patience the first time around, next time you may not be so lucky.
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

Return to “Other topics”