NVIDIA, TwinView, Wine & Fullscreen - Gaming

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
XeroXer
Level 1
Level 1

NVIDIA, TwinView, Wine & Fullscreen - Gaming

Post by XeroXer »

Hi,
this will be kind of a summarized thread about NVIDIA graphic settings, TwinView configuration, Wine graphics and trying to run stuff in fullscreen.

System:
Linux Mint 8 Helena - x64 Edition
Dell Laptop Vostro 1710
Laptop monitor and a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" wide
GeForce 8600M GS
Wine 1.1.40 (also tried the wine and the wine1.2 packages in the repository.

All day today I have been fiddling with xorg.conf settings using nvidia-settings and vim.
What I have been noticing is that gaming does not work as one would hope, it worked great on my stationary computer at home with Ubuntu 9.04.
Right now my setup is with my laptop to the left in 1440x900 and my samsung syncmaster to the right with 1680x1050.
My xorg.conf looks like this:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce 8600M GS"
    Option "NoLogo" "false"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Laptop Monitor"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "LPL"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 75.0
    VertRefresh 60.0
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Samsung SyncMaster 226BW"
    VendorName "Samsung"
    ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster 226BW"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Disable "dri2"
EndSection
Section "Files"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama" "false"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS - Samsung SyncMaster 226BW - Laptop Monitor"
    Device "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS"
    Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 226BW"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "TwinView" "true"
    Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option "MetaModes" "CRT: 1680x1050_60 +1440+0, DFP: 1440x900_60 +0+0"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Generic Server Layout"
    Screen 0 "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS - Samsung SyncMaster 226BW - Laptop Monitor" 0 0
EndSection
That is a cook-up of my stationary computers xorg.conf and the one generated by nvidia-settings.

This makes my monitor setup just the way I want it, and works with maximizing windows just on one monitor and all that.
Great I thought, while installing "Ultima Online" (wine), "Dofus", "The Mana World" and "Guild Wars" (wine), this looks like it will be a great gaming weekend.
Oh how wrong I was :(.
I also installed "Serious Sam - The First Encounter" (loki), "Serious Sam - The Second Encounter" (loki), "Serious Sam II" (loki) and "EVE Online" (wine).

With all these games I run into the fullscreen problem, the one with it not working as I hoped.
All the games get only one valid resolution in the options page, 3120x1050, which is both the monitors together.
Some of the even have the problem in window mode setting the resolution to max, while others handled the standard 1024x768 resolution.

Some of the games also made the screen flicker, both with compiz and with metacity, tried changing with "metacity --replace"/"compiz --replace" in terminal and tried using "Fusion Icon".

What I would like, don't know if it's possible, is the possibility to do gaming on my SyncMaster in fullscreen while pidgin and such is on the laptop monitor.
Getting valid resolutions if I want to play in window mode and then also in fullscreen.
I would also like to be able to play without everything starting to flicker and put my laptop graphic card up to 91°C, which mostly is the problem when going through wine with "EVE Online".

Maybe someone know of a good tutorial, or has the setup themselves, for the best Linux Mint Gaming machine of all time. :)
From the Gates of Hell

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Re: NVIDIA, TwinView, Wine & Fullscreen - Gaming

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome to Linux Mint.
Sounds like you have a really nice set-up there. All I know is what I have ran into w/ my older desktop & I think it is Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX
Problems I had w/ high resolution rates, being affected when gaming by the settings in compiz , that I had set to make my desktop look better & do some cool things. :P
So when I was doing gaming I would just go & disable the Compiz Settings Program & it worked for me.
I would recommend that you search the forums at ubuntu forums & maybe it will bring up some ideas that will be relevant to your hardware, since mine I use currently is not as nice as yours. I hope this will give you some leads to resolve your issue, game on,
Jay514 :mrgreen:
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: NVIDIA, TwinView, Wine & Fullscreen - Gaming

Post by RedWagon »

Dual monitors in Linux is kind of glitchy (IMHO) and is going to impact your game performance.

To get your games working right I would recommend setting Wine to run in a virtual desktop. Run winecfg, go to the graphics tab, check emulate a virtual desktop and set the size you want. This will create a window of any size you specify and then you run the games in fullscreen and they will fill the window. It's just a more reliable method of windowing programs.

You might be able to fake full screen by using this method, setting the resolution to the resolution of your monitor and then doing a little work with xdotool and/or devilspie to place it. Your best solution though is to stop using dual monitors. Personally I don't like dual monitors any more, I just use multiple computers, put all the monitors side by side and use synergy to control them all with one mouse/keyboard.

Return to “Other topics”