Ipad

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoe

Ipad

Post by hoe »

I bought a new iPad when they came out in Canada and it is great but it would be sure a lot greater if there was a touch screen LinuxMint on it. Is there anything in the pipes in the Linux community at present? It would be nice if you could hook the iPad to my LinuxMint desktop and have the option of installing mint on my iPad. Unfortunately l had to install XP on a free partition to install iTunes to sync the iPad.

The size, portability, and ten hour battery life are the selling features that peaked my interest and compelled me to buy one.

Wayne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Ipad

Post by JasonLG »

The iPad is a closed platform, the only thing that will run on it(without crazy hacks) is Apple approved software. If you wanted to be able to run Mint you should have bought a Linux compatible tablet. I'm guessing you could have got one for cheaper than the $500 you shelled out for the iPad.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

I haven't tried an iPad yet, but my bias is: Linux on a netbook costs less and does more than an iPad. Yes, my netbook is thicker and heavier, but battery life is close, and I can make it do just about everything I want/need. An iPod Touch is still more interesting to me than an iPad (cheaper, does essentially the same things, more portable, costs less, and has longer battery life).
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

libssd wrote:I haven't tried an iPad yet, but my bias is: Linux on a netbook costs less and does more than an iPad. Yes, my netbook is thicker and heavier, but battery life is close, and I can make it do just about everything I want/need. An iPod Touch is still more interesting to me than an iPad (cheaper, does essentially the same things, more portable, costs less, and has longer battery life).
Agreed 100%

To me a iPad isn't much more than a Touch that won't fit in your pocket :lol:
hoe

Post by hoe »

Thanks for the replies but I am completely aware of the benefits and short comings of the iPad because I read everything posted about it on the net for three months before I made my purchase and I own one. I use it 95 percent of the time now and just returned from a weeks holidays with it where before I would have taken my laptop. It may not fit in most pockets but I'll tell you it is not a big effort to carry is down the street in the case Apple designed for it.

One would have to be pretty whimpy if they couldn't carry this little piece of hardware around ... I'm over 60 and have no problems :-) I've learned over the years it is pretty darned hard to write a book report on a book l haven't read ... there always seems to be more value reading a review by someone who walked the mile then by someone who just sat on the couch :-)

Anyhow my adventurous curiosity might persuade me to buy one with Android on it when someone can achieve what Apple has achieved in this nifty little gadget.

Conclusion: I don't want my money back ... I'll keep it!

Wayne

Wayne
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

hoe wrote:Thanks for the replies but I am completely aware of the benefits and short comings of the iPad because I read everything posted about it on the net for three months before I made my purchase and I own one.
If you are such an iPad expert then why did you ask about a version of Mint for it? If you had even a passing familiarity with the subject you would have already know the answer to your own question.
hoe wrote:I've learned over the years it is pretty darned hard to write a book report on a book l haven't read ... there always seems to be more value reading a review by someone who walked the mile then by someone who just sat on the couch :-)
You didn't ask for a review, and no one gave you one. You asked about a version of Mint that will run on an iPad. I don't have to lay down $500 for an iPad to be able to answer that.

We get it you're cool, your hip, you got a giant overpriced iPod :lol: When you're done drinking Apple's Kool-Aid you can come back to the real world where you can get a real, fully functioning computer for the same price.
hoe

Post by hoe »

Jason: If you read my post I didn't ask anything I simply made a few statements. Secondly if I was just trying to be cool and impress people I probably would have used a morbid avatar like you do. Thirdly I'm not an expert but do know more about the hands on use of the device then one who never used one and if you do know a lot about one then it has obviously peaked your interest.

Wayne
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Android/Chromium seem more likely on the iPad, because they are being developed for that class of processor. That said, even though some people "jailbreaked" iPads within the first 48 hours after release, I don't expect installing another OS to be easy going -- Apple is going to do everything in their power to make it difficult. And, I am very skeptical that it would be an improvement. Apple is brilliant at UI, and has created a whole new action-based grammar for dealing with computers with the iPhone OS.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Apple or the enemy of the FLOSS today...
The real danger is not Microsoft. It’s just one of many proprietary-software companies today, just like IBM, Oracle or Google. The real danger is the new software model that is promoted, to the greatest degree, by Apple, and to smaller degree by companies like Amazon with its Kindle product. The software model that is more proprietary than Microsoft and others ever imagined. It controls not only the source of their own system, the protocols and (proprietary) communication standards, but also the whole software platform it delivers together with the hardware that is tightly connected with it.
Linux on an iPad? You dream... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

hoe wrote:Jason: If you read my post I didn't ask anything I simply made a few statements. Secondly if I was just trying to be cool and impress people I probably would have used a morbid avatar like you do. Thirdly I'm not an expert but do know more about the hands on use of the device then one who never used one and if you do know a lot about one then it has obviously peaked your interest.
Calm down killer, you're the one that came off all uppity first. :lol:

I read your posts, maybe you should re-reading them. You asked if there was a version of Mint in the works for the iPad in your 1st post, and you made a comment alluding to the fact that you don't think I am capable of reviewing the iPad in your second. As I said you didn't ask for a review in your first post and no one gave you one. We were giving our opinions not a review. You took a light hearted jab at the iPad as an insult to you, it wasn't. And then you popped off like you knew it all so I checked you, deal with it.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, the skull avatar just happens to be prettier than my actual face. :D

I used to have a 3rd Gen touch and I've played with a iPad at an Apple store. So I'd say that I'm familiar enough with Apple devices to know that they are over priced crippled toys.

If you're looking for Apple fanboys a Linux forum isn't the place to find them.
hairbear2705

Post by hairbear2705 »

Not a big fan of iPad, having used one (albeit briefly!), came to the conclusion that it's nothing more than a huge, overblown iphone.
Apple are trying to fill a gap that doesn't exist.
Having got that, what reason do I have to shell out £430 FOR A BASIC, STARTER MODEL?
iPhone 4, clearly not ready for release, think I'll give that a miss too.
However, a friend has one & loves it, so each to their own, I suppose.
Played with Dell Streak the other day, Impressed. Seriously considering it for the shortlist when my phone contract is up for renewal.
Got until April, so plenty of time yet for something better to catch my eye!!
Would invest in a Mint tablet though.......1000%!!! :D :D :D :D
richnbernie

Post by richnbernie »

I have a son in law who works for Raytheon at the Corporate level and has the project to integrate the iPad 2 with the Raytheon software. Big project for many users in the company.
Raytheon has ordered about 800 unit so far.

I just ordered the Dell Streak 7 and have a link on how to upgrade the OS to Honeycomb. It is a toy as I am retired and like new stuff. Does everything I like and half the cost of the iPad. I have used an iPad and it is nice.
I have the wireless version as I do not need to be connected at all times.
Laptops are old stuff.

rich

Return to “Other topics”