keyboard stops working intermittently

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BILL777

keyboard stops working intermittently

Post by BILL777 »

Keyboard doesn't work sometimes.

A problem similar to some others here, that from time to time the keyboard becomes useless, though the mouse continues to move the cursor.
(Funny thing is, it seems to happen mostly when I'm typing. There's a philosophical view there, a typocentric universe? :roll: )

A re-boot solves the problem.

I also find that sometimes Home & End don't function, or go to the wrong place (e.g not to top of page, but a few lines short).
Page Up/Down ,etc., fine.
(This is not a Caret browsing problem.)

And also, sometimes a key will seem to stick, but I honestly think it's in the software. (I have a relatively new, clean keyboard.)
(Of course, if certain master keys were to stick, like Ctrl, one would have a problem. But I don't think that's the case either.)

The mouse does continue to connect though; I can open a terminal ,but I can't type into it.

What process / files control the keyboard?
Can I refresh them easily? (I'm not yet very competent at Linux...)

Or could it be a known malware? (it is a bit like an ANSI bom )

I am running with Helena 8 and a Gnome, on a fairly new Acer laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: keyboard stops working intermittently

Post by gosa »

BILL777 wrote:Keyboard doesn't work sometimes.

A problem similar to some others here, that from time to time the keyboard becomes useless, though the mouse continues to move the cursor.
(Funny thing is, it seems to happen mostly when I'm typing. There's a philosophical view there, a typocentric universe? :roll: )

A re-boot solves the problem.

I also find that sometimes Home & End don't function, or go to the wrong place (e.g not to top of page, but a few lines short).
Page Up/Down ,etc., fine.
(This is not a Caret browsing problem.)

And also, sometimes a key will seem to stick, but I honestly think it's in the software. (I have a relatively new, clean keyboard.)
(Of course, if certain master keys were to stick, like Ctrl, one would have a problem. But I don't think that's the case either.)

The mouse does continue to connect though; I can open a terminal ,but I can't type into it.

Or could it be a known malware? (it is a bit like an ANSI bom )

I am running with Helena 8 and a Gnome, on a fairly new Acer laptop.
Hi,

I just saw this post (linked in another thread I created).

I have the same problem - my keyboard stops working - it can be just in the beginning of a session, it can happen after half a day and I can have it error-free for days without problem.
But then - suddenly - it just stops responding without previous "warning".

This:

is a question I'd like to have answered as well.

BTW - I'm running LMDE x64 on a desktop computer.

Return to “Other topics”