If you think Linux is tough to install

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bullitt
Level 1
Level 1

If you think Linux is tough to install

Post by bullitt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Recently I had the misfortune of helping my brother upgrade his computer. He had the opportunity of getting a younger computer and just wanted to swap out his hard drive from his old computer. Installed on the hard drive was XP and Mint LXDE dual boot. Once the hard drive was installed we fired up the computer. Well LXDE loaded without a hitch, everything worked as it did in the old computer. As far as XP, it would not if begin to load. It just kept looping back to the start up / grup loader.

First we did a repair/install to get it to load. Of course none of the drivers were found. Next we used Mint to grab all the drivers of Dell's website. Yes, the newer computer was a Dell Tower. All the drivers loaded okay except the sound driver.
Finally after about 3 hours we had the XP system working without any loss of data. It may have been quicker, not any easier, to just do a fresh install and reload his data files.

If everyone had to install their own OS, Linux would be the dominate desktop OS overnight. Now I have helped other family member install Linux, I am done within the hour and they are happy as pigs in poop. No more XP worries, or hassles. I am still kind of numb from the effort it took to get XP functional.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: If you think Linux is tough to install

Post by tdockery97 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:07 am

bullitt wrote:If everyone had to install their own OS, Linux would be the dominate desktop OS overnight.
I think you just hit on one of the biggest reasons Windows has held the position it has. It is preinstalled on almost EVERY new pc. If MS ever starts charging the pc manufacturers real money to have Windows preinstalled on their product, you can bet there would suddenly be millions of new pc's being sold with Ubuntu or some other distro pre-installed.
Mint 19.2 MATE

utsuwa
Level 3
Level 3

Post by utsuwa » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 am

bullitt,

you should never expect that other OS to boot just by taking the drive out and installing in into a new computer. It simply fails to start with 100% rate. Because everything durig install was configured for only your old computer hardware. So on the new hardware it will fail to run as it is not even aware of which motherboard, memory etc. you have now. Such are the wonders of that OS. That is why everyone should leave the prisons and go to Linux. Free your computer, give it a professional OS.

Joylove
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joylove » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 am

bullitt wrote:Recently I had the misfortune of helping my brother upgrade his computer. He had the opportunity of getting a younger computer and just wanted to swap out his hard drive from his old computer. Installed on the hard drive was XP and Mint LXDE dual boot. Once the hard drive was installed we fired up the computer. Well LXDE loaded without a hitch, everything worked as it did in the old computer. As far as XP, it would not if begin to load. It just kept looping back to the start up / grup loader.
AFAIK you can't just transfer Windows XP between different machines(anti piracy measures).

bullitt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bullitt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I really didn't expect XP to work, however, I was somewhat shocked on how well Mint adapted to it's new environment. As for piracy, my brother still had and needed to use the XP product key to do the repair, so even if you move the HD to another machine you still end up verifying the product key. There was no problem when it validated. The question that lingers in my mind is how long will XP stay stable?

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:04 pm

"if you think Linux is tough to install"

Try re-installing Windows Vista with a 'recovery disc' & not a proper Windows Disc or installing Windows XP with no drivers for anything & no idea what drivers you need. - I've been in both situations & both times after a few hours trying & a lot of swearing when I've told the owners "Windows / sound / network / etc wont work properly because I cant get the right driver" the 1st thing they say is "so I need a new computer then" - thats when my Linux Mint Disc comes out, 30min later, full new sparkling os & a LOT of software but best of all everything works.

For windows to use ANY hardware it needs to know what it is, were it is, how it works & exactly how to use it - Linux just needs a rough idea what it is & thats all
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

ambok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ambok » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:52 am

yah its takes sometime to install. . . :?

Joylove
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joylove » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:48 pm

the reinstall portion is what bugs me. With Windows XP. base install usually takes around 45-1hour not counting the drivers, bookmarks, manual regkeys and the apps I will use. On Linux Mint its between 30-45 minutes and once I got it running already feels complete (given I always use a separate /home partition).

The last time I reinstalled XP on an HP/Compaq C793 laptop It took me 4x reinstalls consuming almost half a day all due to a buggy audio driver detection post Service Pack 3 installation conflict. Even XP's driver support was questionable given I was using a 2 year old machine when XP first launched and basic video, audio and modem driver support wasn't even implemented.

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:12 pm

"I always use a separate /home partition"

I must say this was something that impressed me with Mint - you can keep user settings seperate, the 1st time I had to do a reinstall (I had messed with it till it broke) I used the same login name & to my suprise once I logged on everything was the same.
When I was running xp, when I reinstalled it on my laptop (used for testing stuff) even though I tried to make it look the same (time consuming hard work) my wife always complained I'd changed it but with Mint - shes used Mint 8 then 9 then back to 8 followed by LMDE & back to 8 again without even noticing I'd changed anything.
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:42 pm

no, install mint is most fast and easy
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com

mark9950
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mark9950 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 am

No linus is wrong,windows isnt crappy,its just that linux did not work with many modems during the dial up days.I remember those days when linux was a crappy operating system,it has improved greatly with the wireless.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 am

Most of us will disagree with your view on Windows

- you must install all your drivers one by one
- it cost way to much, ( the os + office )
- you must pay for virus software, windows don't need any
- you can change your linux os, windows you can not
- you pay way to much for compilers in windows, linux compilers is for free

so yes, we are anti windows, I am for one, I will not say it is crappy in so much words, but if I can I will not even use windows for my work pc

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 am

mark9950 wrote:No linus is wrong,windows isnt crappy,its just that linux did not work with many modems during the dial up days.I remember those days when linux was a crappy operating system,it has improved greatly with the wireless.
and the modems did not work because it was win modems, Just made for windows, if you had a serial port modem it would have work great, and most of the rooters works in linux

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

gjringo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gjringo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:02 am

if you had a serial port modem it would have work great, and most of the rooters works in linux :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

What say you Guys? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 am

tdockery97 wrote: I think you just hit on one of the biggest reasons Windows has held the position it has. It is preinstalled on almost EVERY new pc. If MS ever starts charging the pc manufacturers real money to have Windows preinstalled on their product, you can bet there would suddenly be millions of new pc's being sold with Ubuntu or some other distro pre-installed.
I'm afraid the reality (at least here in us) is a bit different:

you pay some money $$ for a new pc, laptop etc.
If the sh...y windows is preinstalled on it and therefore you get the official license to windows, windows is paid by buying that computer!
If you'd ask the re-seller of paying at least some money back due you wanna return the win license back, most those as...holes say: it's not possible, contact the local microsoft office.
When you contact them, they just will reply: The selling policy and money pay-back (what is your right to get $ back) is all in hands of the reseller, you must ask for $ the re-seller where you bought the computer.

And the result?
Both of them are sh...ing on you, you don't get any money back, just losing your time and nerves...

Point?
Already in the beginning - do not buy the computer if the re-seller won't give you money back at once when buying a computer or force the reseller to buy a computer without OS (of course with the final price less than the computer is sold with win).

This policy is also breaking EU laws, as far as I am told but no one cares... :evil:
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 pm

I switched to Linux when my Win98 refused to work with my new computer's network card.
I decided to not buy WindowsXP mainly because their new policies aren't user friendly. When I got Win98 OEM I could install and use it without any trouble after just entering a CD-key. I used it on three computer generations.

When my mother bought a separate computer it had some weird system restore disk (that probably ties WinXP to that single motherboard). Installing it was a torture - I had to restart installation three times because of some technical problems and every time I had to insert the system restore disk, read some crazy Micro$oft newspeak about protecting me from "falsified copies" or something like that then write the CD key and begin installation stuff - something went wrong several times, so I had to go through all these unnecessary steps several times. It was very user unfriendly.
Then after a month I had to phone to Micro$oft and "activate" it so that the system wouldn't stop working.

All the user unfriendliness, all that creepy newspeak made me decide to never buy their system again unless they'll start behaving normally.

einaschern
Level 1
Level 1

Post by einaschern » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey Bullitt

the reason your windows installation will not boot properly is because of a file called hal.dll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer

For an installation to be copied to another hard drive, or for a hard drive to be physically swapped to another machine, it would need to have exactly the same hardware specifications. I'm really not sure how various flavors of Linux handle this, but perhaps someone who knows will read this :P

Cheers mate.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:07 pm

I have never bought an "off the shelf" PC. Instead I have built every computer I've ever owned. It's the only way to get exactly what I want, and nothing I don't want, including a license to an OS I may not need. :D

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:32 pm

After I buy a computer the very first thing I do is eliminate that nasty virus called windoze and install Linux! MS sucks :!: :!: :!: :!:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Return to “Other topics”