New to Gnome and MINT

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wjni
Level 1
Level 1

New to Gnome and MINT

Post by wjni »

Gooday to All

I have been using KDE for almost 10 years and recently with the KDE upgrade found KDE4 not as stable and in desperation switched to Mint9 after reading the reviews. I am impressed. Nothing is perfect (one can always see things that may be better) but it is a very smooth operating system. Some of the KDE apps that apparently can be run in Mint9 Gnome are interesting and shall give them a try before the release of Mint10 Gnome. Well done to the Mint G&Gs (geeks and gurus) and the FORUM addicts who help to make it such a good OS.
Cheers wjni
linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New to Gnome and MINT

Post by linmint777 »

I do not agree, although I accept that I use gnome (debian & main)
my host is and will remain linux mint kde.
with the jump to kde4 if experienced instability in mint kde, but was it because of my hardware that was already becoming insufficient.
I bought a new pc, and ready to continue to enjoy the best of Linux: KDE
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I guess each to his/her own taste. I'm a Gnome addict myself. The coolest thing about Linux is that I can still run important KDE apps like K3b in Gnome. :D
Mint MATE 20.1
linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 »

I guess each to his/her own taste
yes, I forgot to mention that
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com
vooid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vooid »

GNOME fan here. I've always considered KDE as being too bulky imho.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

After my experiences with KDE in Kubuntu 10.04 and KDE in Mint 9, as someone told for KDE u must have better/newer than average/older hw :lol:
But Mint 9 KDE seems to be more stable than Kubuntu (10.04) where I've been receiving so many 'excuse messages' :x when any app failed that it was like as*** kicking :D
And k3b rocks :D
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I still consider KDE to be the prettiest DE :wink: and I miss a few features that are in KDE (like hiding system tray icons without removing the whole system tray :roll: )
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

wjni wrote:Gooday to All

I have been using KDE for almost 10 years and recently with the KDE upgrade found KDE4 not as stable and in desperation switched to Mint9 after reading the reviews.
Why not go retro since you don't like KDE 4

10.10 on KDE 3.5

You might even be able to get Mint 10 on it..

I have it running on another machine and it runs smooth as silk..

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/index.html

Download KDE 3.5

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 3580.shtml
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Carl wrote:I still consider KDE to be the prettiest DE :wink: and I miss a few features that are in KDE (like hiding system tray icons without removing the whole system tray :roll: )
It is pretty for sure...I was using Mint 9 KDE and loved it...recently i decided to try Kubuntu 10.10 and where as in the past, i felt it didn't feel smooth and polished enough and the kpackagekit was pretty bad news (always needed package manager to be added to get decent software downloading), well i was amazed at how nice it is...kpackagekit works great now and Kubuntu is pretty smooth and polished...looks like it finally got some "love" :wink:

perhaps not quite as much love as ubuntu gets but a lot more attention now...Boo will have to work hard to "top it" with Mint 10 KDE :lol:

I'm a converted long timer from the "gnome side" Mint 9 KDE was the one that finally turned me around to how nice KDE can be...
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

welcome :mrgreen:

I like GNOME, it uses less ram than KDE

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I was a longtime KDE fan, ever since Gnome would barf on Debian Woody. Also, as a kanotix and sidux user, Gnome was never really all "there" in Debian SID. That being said, over the years, I ran thunderbird and firefox as well as my development tools and they sort of stuck out like a sore thumb. True there were workarounds that made the gtk apps blend in with kde, but.... So now I'm at Mint and Gnome (and XFCE on another box). That being said, I still use K3b ;)
-Hinto

Return to “Other topics”