PXE is... gone?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iHateApple
Level 1
Level 1

PXE is... gone?

Post by iHateApple »

Hi all. I'm new to the community. I've been using Mint for a few months to rescue an old Toshiba laptop from death by Microsoft. I tried Mint 9 GNOME first, then added KDE to a new partition. Lately, even though CD drive has been set to first boot priority in BIOS settings, I can't get it to boot from any CDs/DVDs. I know they're burned correctly, and I know the CD drive works (Once I start up Mint, I can use any CD fine). I've done all this before, and each time I boot, normally PXE comes up and runs a test to make sure there aren't any discs in the drive. It's doesn't now. It just goes straight to GRUB after the Toshiba logo. (I don't see any error codes.) Did Mint affect this? I don't really know much about pre-boot software, so help me out if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance for helping out a new user!

P.S. Okay, now I'm in trouble. My BIOS is outdated. I think updating it will help, but it only comes as an .exe. Running wine didn't work ( hough I doubted it would). Flashrom crashes my computer. And I can't make a bootable cd to install it with freeDOS because I can't boot from CDs. Please help!

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: PXE is... gone?

Post by beefstu »

a BIOS update is unlikely to affect things like this. I had a laptop that did very similar things to this, the way I could get it to boot from CD was to put the CD in the drive, go into the BIOS (keep pressing the relevant key at boot (usually escape, delete or sometimes F12)) go to the boot device priority section, and change the settings and put them back to boot from CD first then press (normally F10) to save and reboot, it would then boot from the CD that time.

Hopefully that works, otherwise there may be a key to select a boot device, mine is F9.
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

PXE is a network boot (boots from the network), so the question might be why are you even doing that if the computer is yours to operate
--unless you have setup a server and home network to boot that way...

BIOS would not be affected by an OS update, only a BIOS update would do that

As to updating a BIOS, if you have any windows partition still running, some motherboards allow an onljne BIOS update via windows, although that is a less dsafe option than booting with a disk (of some type diskette, usb key, cd/dvd )

iHateApple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iHateApple »

beefstu wrote:a BIOS update is unlikely to affect things like this. I had a laptop that did very similar things to this, the way I could get it to boot from CD was to put the CD in the drive, go into the BIOS (keep pressing the relevant key at boot (usually escape, delete or sometimes F12)) go to the boot device priority section, and change the settings and put them back to boot from CD first then press (normally F10) to save and reboot, it would then boot from the CD that time.

Hopefully that works, otherwise there may be a key to select a boot device, mine is F9.
Thanks for the idea. I tried this already though. And about the second thing... when the Toshiba logo comes up and I press F12, icons for CD, network, HDD, etc show up. I can pick them with the arrow keys, and i assume they're for booting from a specific device. Only problem is that once I select CD (or network, I tried that too) with Enter, it just goes right to GRUB like nothing happened.

STUPID MACHINE!!! IT WAS WORKING A FEW DAYS AGO!!!

iHateApple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iHateApple »

HA! I think I have an idea (though a complicated one). Would it be possible to make a virtual machine in VirtualBox of the OS I want and turn it into a real partition? I've read somewhere that it might work. How could I do this? (All I know is how to make the virtual machine. Anything else is out of my experience.)

Of course, I still need a fix for my CD booting problem.

iHateApple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iHateApple »

Okay, can I install an entry in GRUB to boot from the CD drive? Please tell me how I can do this!

Return to “Other topics”