All partitions mounted as read-only solved

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

andyvr4 wrote:Are these NTFS partitions or ext3 partitions. By default when you install mint it is setup to only mount NTFS partitions read/only. In order to change this go to System Tools and select NTFS configuration tool. You can then select rather to map them read/only are with write support.
Mint is should mount all NTFS hard drives with mintDisk as read/write.
The only way this would not work is if you stopped mintDisk from being used.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

All his partitions are being mounted as read-only, even under root.
Is it possible to boot?
I think I've seen that boot fails because writing to some important file is not possible (have to look it up if I'm gonna tell you the exact story)
To some of you answering
Under root you do not have ntfs (in /media which is under root, yes :))
Husse

Post by Husse »

sudo chmod
Use with extreme caution :)
This is quite different from the original question
What mounts the partitions - mintDisk or fstab?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Try to change ntfs to ntfs-3g
Apart from that it looks as it should
Husse

Post by Husse »

But I wonder what is the difference between specifying UUID and /dev/sdax?
The UUID (Universal Unique IDentifier) is calculated from several things to identify a partition and should be the same regardless you move a USB disk or some such. However it's not always the case
The /dev/sdax is simply your partitions numbered rom the beginning of the disk (well not quite - but basically)

Return to “Other topics”