Massive performance drop after upgrade from Mint 7 to 9

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Massive performance drop after upgrade from Mint 7 to 9

Post by Morgan Krieg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Hello, I'm new here.
I was using Linux Mint 7 for past year and it was performing acceptably, though slower than Win98. When I have upgraded to Isadora, suddenly most of basic stuff started working slower - even all menus, Nautilus and Firefox. Usually, it's impossible to even use a VICE C64 emulator because it lags too much when running games. Opening disk directories in Nautilus takes a lot of time. How do I make it work normally?

My computer is Celeron 2,400. 1GB ram, GeForce4 MX 4000, Sound Blaster Live! Value

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Massive performance drop after upgrade from Mint 7 to 9

Post by JasonLG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:10 am

Morgan Krieg wrote:Hello, I'm new here.
I was using Linux Mint 7 for past year and it was performing acceptably, though slower than Win98. When I have upgraded to Isadora, suddenly most of basic stuff started working slower - even all menus, Nautilus and Firefox. Usually, it's impossible to even use a VICE C64 emulator because it lags too much when running games. Opening disk directories in Nautilus takes a lot of time. How do I make it work normally?

My computer is Celeron 2,400. 1GB ram, GeForce4 MX 4000, Sound Blaster Live! Value
First make sure that you have the right drivers installed for your graphics card. Go to MintMenu> Control Center> Hardware Drivers and install the proprietary drivers for your chipset/graphics card if any are available. If that doesn't work you might try one of the other versions with a lighter desktop environment like the LXDE or Fluxbox editions. They are both designed for computer that are light on recourses.
Last edited by JasonLG on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 am

Another consideration to make, as pointed out in the blog, and other posts in forums, is a CLEAN install, updates have a chance of breaking things, and rightfully with that consideration if 2-3 symlinks get busted, the rig may grind to a halt.
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

unexistance
Level 5
Level 5

Post by unexistance » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi,

If a system is slow, normally it means the CPU is busy... So can you:

- open terminal
- type top
- <Enter>

It will put the cpu-hogging process on top ...

Regards,
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::

Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:48 pm

It appears that it has stopped happening, probably after the last update I downloaded. Thanks for the replies.

Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 am

JasonLG wrote:If that doesn't work you might try one of the other versions with a lighter desktop environment like the LXDE or Fluxbox editions. They are both designed for computer that are light on recourses.
I have installed the LXDE environment and it works about 500% faster with almost Windows-like performance and even folders are opened almost instantly unlike under Gnome where it lasted many seconds especially with many files (both in comparison to the old install of 7 and after installing 9). Everything works much faster. Is this normal? Are there really such big differences in efficiency of desktop environments or could it be some other problem?

Return to “Other topics”