Disk Mount Permissions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Straylit Me
Level 1
Level 1

Disk Mount Permissions

Postby Straylit Me » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Like others might, i have a dual-boot system (Vista/Celena) and another FAT32 partition for shared stuff such as music, videos, etc. Ive found that i do not have read/write functions while logged into my account because it because it belongs to root. So, not knowing how to change permissions through the terminal, i enabled root, logged in, and attempted to give the rights to my account. It didnt work. It said (even while logged in as root) that i didnt have the permissions and it was unable to change the owner of the mounted FAT32 partition.

So if someone could please guide me to making my partition writeable/readable from my account, i would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:17 am

In Celena you can let mintDisk mount ntfs and fat32
So if the offending disc is not mentioned at all in /etc/fstab it should be mounted read/write by mintDisk
You reach it from the menu - check that you have not turned it off
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lolo Uila » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:30 pm

And note that when Husse says "the offending disc is not mentioned at all in /etc/fstab" it is meant very litterally. You can not even have a commented line referencing the drive. You must completely remove any reference to your FAT32 partition from fstab, and then mintDisk should mount it as read-write.

Return to “Other topics”