Is Mint 10 supposed to log me out after so many minutes..

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bhill93
Level 1
Level 1

Is Mint 10 supposed to log me out after so many minutes..

Post by bhill93 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Is Mint 10 supposed to log me out after so many minutes of not using my computer? If so how do I turn this off? If its not supposed to do that, then why is my system logging off after about 20 minutes of not using my computer? It gets very annoying especially when listening to music or something on the computer while I do stuff around the house. Its not locking my computer its completely logging me out. I have the lock system at screensaver option turned off.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Is Mint 10 supposed to log me out after so many minutes.

Post by dawgdoc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Go to the Screensaver application and make sure that Lock screen when screensaver is active is not checked.
> Menu > Preferences > Screensaver

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

bhill93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bhill93 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 pm

The lock thing for the screen saver is not on. Its not locking the screen after so long its just completely logging me out, and I have to log back in and reopen everything I had.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Have you checked the power management settings?
> Menu > Preferences > Power Management

bhill93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bhill93 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Hmm...the power management shuts off my monitor after 15 minutes and after 16 minutes the screensaver turns on. After the 15 minutes when the monitor shuts off i can move the mouse and bring the system back up like normal but if I wait a few minutes after that I am presented with the login screen. Im thinking maybe the screensaver has a glitch or something and logs out instead of starting the screensaver. I turned off the screensaver in hopes this may fix the problem. I'll be on the computer a few hours straight tonight working but hopefully in the morning I can see if turning off the screensaver fixes the problem.

bhill93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bhill93 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Disabling the screen saver completely fixed the problem.

sosaudio1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sosaudio1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 am

bhill93 wrote:Disabling the screen saver completely fixed the problem.
I can confirm this. It started with the initial releases of LM10. It is the same with Ubuntu. Something with the screensaver causes the system to log-out. I can't even preview xscreensavers. I haven't checked to see if the same thing happens with gnome-screensaver as far as preview goes. I know that it logs the system out when the screensaver daemon runs the screensaver. So the issue lies in the screensaver system....
It all started with SuSE then it went to OpenSuSE, then a short time with Ubuntu..now it is all Mint

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:15 am

sosaudio1 wrote: I can confirm this. It started with the initial releases of LM10. ....So the issue lies in the screensaver system....
I started seeing a number of related posts with the same solution with the release of LM9/Isadora.

sosaudio1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sosaudio1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 am

dawgdoc wrote:
sosaudio1 wrote: I can confirm this. It started with the initial releases of LM10. ....So the issue lies in the screensaver system....
I started seeing a number of related posts with the same solution with the release of LM9/Isadora.
Yeah I got a feeling it started with an update that occurred around that time. Would love to be able to run my screensaver again sometime
It all started with SuSE then it went to OpenSuSE, then a short time with Ubuntu..now it is all Mint

Return to “Other topics”