Can't log into Gnome after updates (Daryna 4.0)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhaupin
Level 1
Level 1

Can't log into Gnome after updates (Daryna 4.0)

Post by dhaupin »

Hey all, I installed Mint Gnome full edition 4.0 a few days ago on my desktop (AMD 2800+ barton, ATI 9600SE, 1gb ram) and am currently using the XFCE edition beta 4.0 on my laptop. I love this OS, its much better than Ubuntu/Xubuntu in both function and looks. I wish I would have discovered it sooner.

Now heres the problem with my Gnome desktop installation. Ive looked around, but have found no answers. The first time I installed I ran the updates as soon as it finished. Rebooted, worked out fine. Then I installed the ATI drivers from the restricted drivers manager, rebooted and seemed to have no errors. The GDM login comes up, I enter my user/pass (or root) and nothing happens. Just sits there, not even "thinking", yet not frozen. I can login via other tty's with both my acct and root acct, but I couldnt find any errors (I dont really know where to look for them, I usually use slackware). Ok thinking I should have done the driver first, I reinstalled Mint. This time I ran the restricted drivers manager, installed ATI drivers, rebooted, worked fine. All resolutions + refresh rates present, no noticeable errors. Installed the updates, rebooted, and ran into same error: cant log in or gnome isnt starting. So I moved onto envy. Installed envy dependencies required for it to run, rebooted, presented with same login error. I didnt even get to install drivers or update (although I'm assuming those dependencies were part of the update).

-dmesg and tail /var/log/messages has no error except "writeback test failed"
-After the error, I can't use anything that has to do with networking in tty console, so i cant connect to my AP to work online.

Any ideas what might be causing my problem, or how to go about figuring it out?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't log into Gnome after updates (Daryna 4.0)

Post by clem »

It looks like the problem comes from the updates, not the ATI driver... try to install the updates you think could cause it one by one to see if they cause the problem. With mintUpdate we've defined levels of safety so some updates are in level 4 and 5 and most users don't download them... but before they get to level 4-5.. they start as level 3, so it's only after people report problems that we change their level. If you want to stay on the safe side only go for levels 1 and 2, and choose among level 3 ones the ones you know about or the ones that look safe to you (avoid system ones for instance).

Clem
dhaupin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhaupin »

I think you're right. The drivers are consistently working, and the envy was downloading all the updates..not just ones it needed. Thats why it was causing the same errors. I've messed with it more, trying to narrow it down (its not cups, samba, or gdm). All the updates are level 3. I'm gonna go through them until i find the faulty update.

Thats a great system by the way.

One more question: Does it matter if i use the restricted driver manager or envy? Is one better than the other?

Thanks...ill report back when i figure it out.
dhaupin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhaupin »

Well I don't think it has to do with the updates either. I think its an all together different problem. After trying various updates, I decided to install, not do any updates, and see what happened.

First of all, a few times I was able to set up wlan0 via ndiswrapper, install some packages, reboot, and all was fine until I tried the next few package updates (aka the 2nd reboot). It seemed like every time i did that, the next batch of packages i would try (after the successful ones + 1st reboot) would cause this hang after GDM login. Well this time, I decided to set up ndiswrapper and reboot to make sure the module loaded at boot + make sure this problem didn't occur even with no updates installed on the 1st reboot. I'm sure you can guess what happened: hang on the 1st reboot. I think the times I was able to reboot once after installing the drivers or the first batch of updates for testing was random. Whether its on the first or second reboot seems inconsistent to me because I've done the exact same sequence of things throughout these tests.

It always happens for sure though on or before the 2nd reboot, and always displays kinit trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/accdf387-111b-40fd-b1b8-5bf2a38f20d2 in tty1. Perhaps this would have something to do with it? It says no resume image, so it does normal boot. Thats the only thing I can find (with my novice linux knowledge :P) that seems out of place.

Heres the only things I've done in all these installations (besides the first few tries described in my first post):
-open terminal, install wifi driver mrvk51.inf + ndiswrapper -m + depmod -a + modprobe ndiswrapper
-add "ndiswrapper" to /etc/modules
-either reboot or install some/all updates and then reboot
dhaupin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhaupin »

Ok i figured it out. So simple. By putting ndiswrapper in /etc/modules, I cant run gnome. That is strange...but ok haha.

Problem solved.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The difference between using Envy and the restricted drivers manager is the version of the ATI driver that gets installed. Envy will install the latest driver (or near latest), while the restricted drivers manager will install the driver from the repository. The one in the repository is usually older, but more tested.

Aloha, Tim

Return to “Other topics”