Mint 10 freezing and rebooting randomly

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alysher
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 10 freezing and rebooting randomly

Post by alysher »

ok, im not sure where exactly to post this topic, or where it would exactly fit, so please forgive if this is in the wrong forum.

like the topic states i mint keeps freezing and rebooting randomly. ive had it running for 5 mins before it freezes/reboots and ive also had it running for upto more then like 2 hrs before it freezes. as far as i can tell its almost compleltly random.

my computer specs are:
EDIT: check my next post for my system specs

this is a gateway laptop, and my appoligies for the limited specs. i am dual booting this machine and booted into windows to write this. if someone could post me a terminal command for a proper set of specs under Mint i would be happy to post them the next time i load it.(ie read as 'i am a NOOB')

any one with any advice would be most welcome.
Last edited by alysher on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 10 freezing and rebooting randomly

Post by richyrich »

Can you copy / paste back here the complete output of the following terminal command :

Code: Select all

inxi -v5 -x
alysher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alysher »

here you go:

System:    Host NEO-MINT Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 Julia
CPU:       Single core Mobile AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (-UP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips 1603.49 clocked at 800.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card ATI RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1280x800@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI R300 (RV350 4E50) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL DRI2 GLX Version 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver VIA 82xx Audio at port 1000 BusID: 00:11.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller driver b43-pci-bridge BusID: 00:0c.0
           Card-2 VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II] driver via-rhine at port 1800 BusID: 00:12.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 260.1GB (45.2% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9100825A 100.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb 00BEVS 160.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 43G used: 3.8G (10%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 167 Uptime 1 min Memory 234.9/1253.4MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.12 
the processor speed is wrong here....my processor runs at 2.4ghz

hope this helps
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

This is a tough one to troubleshoot . . . Can you do some searching for error messages in the Log File Viewer program ?
use View -> Find, and try error, or ERROR. Log files like xorg, debug, dmesg, kern, messages, syslog (1), userlog (1) . . . clicking the little triangle by the logs will show dates, and it would help your search if you had an approximate time of the last freeze/reboot . . .

post back here anything that you find suspicious . .

good luck, richy
alysher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alysher »

Richy
while checking the logs for any thing useful i had a freeze/reboot sequence that made it really easy for me to find out that there is jack diddly in the logs for the precise time of the freeze. i am at a loss. i do know that this would happen to my system under xp if it wasnt for the chipset drivers that are installed, tho i doubt that not having chipset drivers is the issue....

if you need me to post my logs and the time and date of the last reboot i would be more then happy to do so.

EDIT:
it just occurred to me that MAYBE the way i installed my wireless drivers is what is causing the issue. i used this web page to install my firmware(the listing under "No Internet") cause my wireless card is the ONLY way i have to connect. i also downloaded the b43-fwcutter package from debian squeeze. would this be the main issue?
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I don't know if a wireless device would cause your system to reboot ? but you could post the output of this command :

sudo lshw -C network
alysher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alysher »

here you go:

*-network:0             
       description: Network controller
       product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: c
       bus info: pci@0000:00:0c.0
       version: 03
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master
       configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64
       resources: irq:18 memory:d0000000-d0001fff
  *-network:1
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: VT6102 [Rhine-II]
       vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
       physical id: 12
       bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 74
       serial: 00:03:25:14:14:90
       size: 10MB/s
       capacity: 100MB/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=via-rhine driverversion=1.4.3 duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=8 mingnt=3 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
       resources: irq:23 ioport:1800(size=256) memory:d0002c00-d0002cff
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       logical name: wlan0
       serial: 00:90:4b:89:f3:36
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=2.6.35-22-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.2.2 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

driver=b43

link=yes

firmware=N/A
you might want to try installing b43-fwcutter from Synaptic Package Manager . . . but I still don't think this would cause a total reboot . .
alysher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alysher »

well according to the package manager i have all the b43-fwcutter package installed, as well as the firmware-b43-installer. i will reinstall and see what happens...as for the rebooting why dont we look at this a different way...what would cause mint to freeze for 5-15 seconds? cause my reboots always follow a freeze in that time frame.
alysher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alysher »

hey richy, i have a really stupid question for you...are debian packages(specificly squeeze) compatable with Mint 10?
drrdf

Post by drrdf »

Hi, I have a similar problem with Linux Mint Isadora, but it seems to occur sporadically a few times per day only when I press the Carriage Return key; the system then suddenly closes all applications and immediately reverts to the log-in screen. This never happened with the previous long term Mint Linux version which I used on the same PC and which I still have running on another. Could it be due to some sort of bug introduced after Mint 9, which perhaps affects only certain hardware platforms? My set-up is AMD dual core 2.2GHz processor, MSI K9N6PGM2 mother board with NVIDIA GeForce MCP61P, 4GB RAM. Also occasionally whilst being used the video breaks up completely, and this situation may be remedied only by a reboot.
drrdf

Post by drrdf »

I have realised since my earlier post that I made an error when i referred to "after Mint 9", which should have been after Mint 8; it is with Mint 9 Isadora that I am experiencing this problem, which did not occur with the earlier versions.

I have also discovered today that the same problem occurs when I sometimes press the Backspace key, so it is not only with the Carriage Return key as I had thought earlier. It may thus be that the same fault can occur sometimes due to other triggers. I do not know yet, but there certainly seems to be some sort of recurrent problem. In all other respects Mint is operating well and correctly.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this, please?
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ESM »

I see this happening now too. On a fresh install and before that on a not-so-fresh-install. Quite a problem, to be honest.
drrdf

Post by drrdf »

Since no one seems to know the answer to this, and since the problem continues I have found a solution. In my case this sporadic rebooting occurs when a key on the keyboard is pressed, and I was using the long-term supported version MInt 9 Isadora. At first I thought it was only the Return key which caused it, but now I know it can be any key. The system then does not actually reboot. It reverts to the log-in screen and all your work is lost.

The solution I have found is use Mint XFCE instead. For some reason that does not suffer from this problem. Problem solved!
jwedekin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwedekin »

I may have to seriously consider switching distros. It's a big pain for me since it takes about a week for me to setup my development environment.

F***, I may go back to using Windows!

I have attached logs from my last LinuxMint BSOD (Black-return-to-Login Screen of Death). BSOD last occurred at 21:10
Attachments
9-15-2011-system-crash.odt
(38.67 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Return to “Other topics”