Cloning hard drives

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
solna
Level 1
Level 1

Cloning hard drives

Post by solna »

So, come to find out, my shiny 500GB drive has got some issues.

approximately just under 5,000 of them. bad sectors, that is. it's almost like an entire platter failed. drive capacity is about 79% and seems to be decreasing.

so, time to clone to ol everlasting, the 300GB western digital drive.

but, guess which one has the OS on it?

if you went with 'the one that's drooling on itself' you win!

question: will i be dragging corrupt data over to the new drive with me when i clone, or is it going to be excising that info so i have nice shiny clean trouble-free operation?

i'd really rather not go through ANOTHER install. the fact that my grub was effectively drug behind a shed and executed mob-style the night before last was offputting enough and i'm suspecting the drive failure is involved. if sectors are going bad progressively(a concern) then not only am i on a ticking time bomb but i'm running risk of cloning broken data.

*edit*
you know, after talking wth one of the systems guys at work, maybe i'll just do ANOTHER install.

this is getting old. upshot: i'm getting pretty good at it.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cloning hard drives

Post by lmintnewb »

If by shiny, you mean somewhat new ( yr or two). You'd actually purchased ( hopefully having a receipt for etc.) Then would contact the manufacturer about that drive. Believe it's normal for any hdd to have some % of bad sectors. Supposed to be within reasonable limits though. 20% or 1/5 of your hdd is not reasonable tolerances. Couldn't hurt to inquire about warranty or replacement ... 100gbs bad of a 500gb drive is ridiculous. Assuming you actually have confirmed that fact and it's so. Plus assuming you didn't have something to do with the damage to it n the 1st place etc.

If it's a big name brand manufacturer for hardware. Guess couldn't hurt to contact them and see what they have to say about it. Replacing a hard drive is mucho cheap, compared to replacing a customer or the bad press they could get out of a situation like this. As for the rest of it, would think most cloning utils would skip bad sectors ... or give ya the option of trying to recover them. Am not a tech guru ... so overall the end result you'd get going one way or the other ... dunno.

solna
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cloning hard drives

Post by solna »

nine months old. pretty dang shiny.

now, it was hooked into a system that had the power supply rather spectacularly go out(which actually did a good bit of electrical damage to a lot of the rest of said system), so i wouldn't be shocked if that contributed.

the drive's headed further south, faster. it's lost almost another gig of free space and now claims to be storing 128 TeraBytes of data. my god, what incredible efficiency of storage!

more sectors gone bad now. either the damage is across multiple platters or that bad platter is more than 100 gigs.

main reason to be nervous about cloning is the worry of porting a brain-damaged OS and having crashes anyways.

good thing this is a new install(Katya) and i've got all my data migration disks already.

so solved my own problem, i guess, by opting for another install.

not linux's fault, thankfully. just bad luck.

Return to “Other topics”