Nautilus search yields no results

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Nautilus search yields no results

Postby mover47 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:08 am

Hi there,

When I run a search from Nautilus or use Places-->Search, my queries always come back with no results found ('0'). Examples of searches I have run:

boot
bin
etc
fstab
menu
names of mp3 files

I'm a noob, and I don't know where a lot of files or folders are, so I want to use a search instead of wandering around the file system. Why doesn't the search bring back results? Isn't this a "file search"? I used Fedora's search tool like this, and had no problems. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

skampo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby skampo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 am

Go to system preferences and select search indexing, or open file browser and select search, or in terminal type beagle-search.

mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:13 am

Whether in Beagle or the Gnome-based search, the result is the same:
0 items. I have /root as a path in Beagle, no change. But why should I have to use an indexed search anyway?

skampo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby skampo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 am

I am sure there is a beter way then what I did. Maybe someone will tell us if so.

What I did was open beagle the first time, then went into preferences and turned of index home folder, then added / so that all the file system is searched when I go to search any of those ways I said.

mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks skampo. I've 'solved' the problem.

To restate, I had a problem with Nautilus's quick find <Ctrl+F>: When I would search for things like 'bin', 'fstab', and parts of file names, the search would consistently return '0 items'.

Here's how I solved the problem. I accidentally deleted my top panel, then restored it and added the menu bar. On a whim, I tried the Nautilus search again (from any window "Search" button or <Ctrl+F> and viola!--it worked.

Now, when I search for 'etc', I get 283 items, including the folders I was actually looking for.

So, there's my weird solution. Anyone want to try and explain it?

mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:24 pm

The "desktop search" from places-->search also works now, when it didn't before.

jandy
Level 1
Level 1

beagle search doesn't work for me

Postby jandy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:03 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem as mover with my Beagle search. I search for things that I know are there and get zero results. "Search & Indexing" ticks are all on. I don't have any extra panels to delete/add like the OP did. I added / to the search places. Nothing shows up when searching for "bin" or documents that I know are in my documents folder.

jandy
Level 1
Level 1

Update

Postby jandy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am

Just an update, Beagle and ctrl-F searches worked after re-booting. Strange--I didn't adjust any settings. Seems just as mysterious as mover's report.

Return to “Other topics”