Why has Mint been offline?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Why has Mint been offline?

Post by dpar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Is there a reason that Mint sites have been offline so much lately?

lynx2cross
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why has Mint been offline?

Post by lynx2cross » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:02 pm

I've noticed the same thing, I'm in the U.S. and i've noticed after 8pm the site goes down until the next morning. Maybe they shut it down for maintenance.

Acid7711
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Acid7711 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:22 am

I've noticed every couple months the servers seem to go down for about a week, then go back to normal operation. I've always wondered the same thing, thought it was just me for a while.

Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Noob Saibot » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:50 am

I noticed this too.
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:49 am

Our servers have never been down more than over a weekend. This happened twice and is related to the domain registrar we have and can't get rid of (without a prolonged downtime as it seems)
This thursdays downtime was due to some software error in our server.
These are the only three down times I'm aware of - there may of course have happened something during the night that I've not noticed (say from midnight to 11 am CET)
I had hoped some info would be posted already
However before we changed to the new forum the old forum was so "overloaded" that it almost seemed like it was down.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:31 pm

If you don't like the uptimes of the site then why not donate some funds towards better servers? ;)

nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:28 pm

belovedmonster wrote:If you don't like the uptimes of the site then why not donate some funds towards better servers? ;)
If the servers are actually the problem why aren't the people in charge actually saying so?

In fact, there is a decided lack of openness on this issue.

Clem, where are you? what's going on? Why can't we get an answer on this?

lynx2cross
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lynx2cross » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:57 pm

belovedmonster wrote:If you don't like the uptimes of the site then why not donate some funds towards better servers? ;)
I wasn't complaining or making an issue about it, I was just saying that it's something I've noticed in the last week and was curious as to why. I think that's what the post is about.

nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Well, I'm not exactly complaining either, but I think that this is much more important that some feel...

In a situation like ours, where a feeling of community is vitally important to what we do, open and honest communication is vitally important.

And these outages do not involve just these forums, the repositories were also off line. this is not a small deal, it is at least a medium deal.

Those who know need to tell, and they need to tell sooner next time.

As of right this minute I'm not especially happy with the way this has been dealt with.

dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dpar » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 am

The main reason that I asked this question was that I REALLY like Mint, and there are two main things I look for in a distro.......

1) Package availability (ie: the repos)
2) Support (ie: forums)

They have both been down lately and I was hopeing that it wasn't a regular occurrence. I haven't been around this forum long enough to know the history, so I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking.

akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akshunj » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:11 am

nelamvr6 wrote:Well, I'm not exactly complaining either, but I think that this is much more important that some feel...

In a situation like ours, where a feeling of community is vitally important to what we do, open and honest communication is vitally important.

And these outages do not involve just these forums, the repositories were also off line. this is not a small deal, it is at least a medium deal.

Those who know need to tell, and they need to tell sooner next time.

As of right this minute I'm not especially happy with the way this has been dealt with.
I think there was a thread a while ago addressing the "why" part. I think the gist is that Mint used to be with one hosting service, and then after some outages and/or downtime they moved to another, but that original service is still the domain registrar, so every now and again I think something screwy happens with DNS resolving the linuxmint IP. Or something like that. My level of knowledge regarding the inner workings of the interweb leaves MUCH to be desired. All I know is that every time Mint goes down, OpenDNS says that Servage (or some such name) is refusing to resolve the IP.

I don't think the back story on this issue is being concealed. In fact, I think it's an issue Clem and the other devs have been openly angry about, but I'm not sure there's an easy fix...

--Akshun J

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:35 am

Akshun J
You are right about the downtime earlier
We're locked in by Servage :( :(
If we want to change registrar (and we want to) they remove us and don't release us so the registrar of our choice can register us until after two days. This will mean two days downtime. I've never heard of such a malpractice before and I have run a commercial web site for several years.
What happened on thursday was that the Apache server refused to start and I don't know why Clem has not put something in the forum about it. As I know too little about the incident I don't want to add some Announcement
To some others - Mint has not been down on "nights"
But I think this can be a problem with the internet and the US - Europe connection - it gets so overloaded that we seem to be down
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:42 pm

Thank you for the info Husse.

Return to “Other topics”