I seem to have unistalled Firefox...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Marle
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to have unistalled Firefox...

Postby Marle » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Hello, I'm new to Linux Mint (though I've used Ubuntu before) and it seems great except for one wierd problem: Firefox is missing. When I click on the icon, it says .Could not launch menu item Failed to execute child process "firefox" (No such file or directory)". So I check /usr/bin (where I usually found applications in Ubuntu) and sure enough, it's not there (neither is mozilla-firefox). So i go to Synaptic and reinstall. Still doesn't work. It worked when I first installed Linux Mint. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get it back? I have Opera installed now, so it's not the end of the world if I don't, but I'd really prefer to use Firefox so any suggestions would be wonderful.

skampo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby skampo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:08 am

Firefox in /usr/bin would just be a link to where it should be which is /usr/lib/firefox/ I found this out back when I was told to remove the older firefox before updating to 2.0.0.1. I updated from source and then found I had installed to my home folder. What I did then was launch thunar as super user and just moved the firefox folder from home to /usr/lib/firefox and made a new launcher to it.

Marle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Marle » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks for the advice, but /usr/lib/firefox is messed up too. apt-get won't install firefox-bin to it, and it looks like it's missing some other files in that folder. I downloaded firefox from mozilla.com, and then I tried copying that folder to /usr/lib/ but it won't run from there. I says Segmentation fault (core dumped) when I try to run it from the command line, and just doesn't do anything when I run it from nautilus. But, I can run it from my home folder, so I guess that's good enough.

Josh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Josh » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:23 pm

you can try reinstalling firefox. Using synaptic, just mark it for reinstallation, or from the command line: sudo dpkg-reconfigure firefox

If that fails, try removing it with the --purge option: apt-get --purge remove firefox Then reinstall it.

If that still doesn't work, post back and we'll see what we can do to help.

Return to “Other topics”