[Closed] Mouse setting not saved between sessions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LarsRq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsRq » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi
I use the left-handed mouse setting, and currently I have to set this each time I login. It is not saved between sessions. Otherwise the mouse works, except that it is not visible on the login screen. Saw some posts on that, but that does not bother me, since the arrow keys work and will do the job.

I run LinuxMint 11 (Katya) LXDE, on a rather old Dell Optiplex S280, with a cordless mouse and keyboard.
lsusb says: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c509 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Keyboard & Mouse

To change the mouse setting I use the GUI under the "Start" button, i.e. Settings / Keyboard and Mouse. But I have to do it each time I login.

I checked with printenv, and there are variables for language and keyboard, but nothing for the mouse.
GDM_KEYBOARD_LAYOUT=se
LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8
GDM_LANG=sv_SE.utf8
LANGUAGE=sv_SE:en

I sometimes use LinuxMint 8 Helena Gnome, which I then run in a virtual machine on another computer. And it remembers all settings (keyboard, language, mouse).

Any hints on what I could to fix this?
Last edited by LarsRq on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mouse setting not saved between sessions

Post by xenopeek » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Following command switches your mouse to left-handed:

Code: Select all

gconftool -s /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/left_handed -t bool true
It should save this setting between reboots.

If not, you can add this to Startup Applications to have it execute automatically, though this will only work for your account and not at login screen. (Try to reboot first and see if your mouse stays left-handed or not.)

LarsRq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsRq » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:06 pm

I tried the gconftool command right after login, but it does not work at all. I checked with gconftool -g and it answers true to the setting. But my mouse is still right-handed. I have to use the Settings > Keyboard and Mouse to change to left-handed, just as before.

But since gconftool is for Gnome and I use the LXDE, this may be the reason it doesn't work.

Any other hints on how to solve this?

Alteregnom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alteregnom » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:38 am

LarsRq wrote: But since gconftool is for Gnome and I use the LXDE, this may be the reason it doesn't work.
Hm. Indeed that might be the reason... But the solution provided by xenopeek worked under Gnome for me

Drake2k
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drake2k » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Is there a solution to this yet? I'm having the EXACT same issue as LarsRq.

LarsRq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarsRq » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Sorry for not updating/responding to earlier posts. But a while ago I googled my problem and found a few links to LXDE about unsaved mouse settings.

It seems that this is a LXDE problem, not a Linux Mint problem. And other desktops like Gnome may not have this problem at all. Unfortunately the proposed solutions in the LXDE forum didn't work either. So for the moment I'm stuck, but since the computer where I have this problem isn't used very often I think I can live with it.

So I set the status to CLOSED for this topic, since this is not the right forum for solving this problem. Hopefully it can change to SOLVED in the future, with an improved version of LXDE.

Return to “Other topics”