Suspend-related glitch

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
invader_tak
Level 1
Level 1

Suspend-related glitch

Post by invader_tak » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:02 pm

After reviving the computer from a Suspend, the gui looks like it needs degaussing. I'm not using a CRT monitor. The file system, login prompt, and background are all fine and perfectly legible. This is a reproducible error. It does not happen after a hard or soft restart or when I power up the system after a shutdown.
The great thing about your people, Dib, is that most of them don't notice.

soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Suspend-related glitch

Post by soccerz619 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:43 am

I had the same thing on a laptop, and I'll link you to my posting to see what worked for me here
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

invader_tak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by invader_tak » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:20 pm

soccerz619 wrote:I had the same thing on a laptop, and I'll link you to my posting to see what worked for me here
-Using 12 not 11, ie gnome 3 and MATE not gnome 2.
-Suspend doesn't cause a crash, its causing a visual glitch that makes the gui unusable, though filesystem is fine.
-Single partition.
-No screensaver.

soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by soccerz619 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:17 am

-Did you try anything there?
-Do you want help?
-If so, good luck.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

invader_tak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by invader_tak » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 am

soccerz619 wrote:-Did you try anything there?
I checked to make sure my single-partition, which I re-formatted to single partition from another single partition of Ubuntu five days ago, was still single partition. It was. Also five days ago I made sure all screensaver options were off because that is what I always do when customizing an OS. But yes, I did check to make sure all vaguely screensaver-related options were completely null again on your advice.

The reason these things didn't solve the problem is because, after reading your thread, I came to find your problem was almost nothing like my problem. I am experiencing a MATE/Nvidia-related graphics glitch on restore from suspend. You couldn't get a machine (without MATE and with an ATI video card) to suspend in the first place.
soccerz619 wrote:-Do you want help?
Yes, but I understand that not all computer problems have solutions. Such a non-critical bug is low priority days after such a radical new edition of a linux distro.

key_key
Level 1
Level 1

Post by key_key » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 am

this is very interesting information, thank you

Return to “Other topics”