Windows 7 running noticeably quicker.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eagleforce626
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 7 running noticeably quicker.

Post by eagleforce626 »

Hey guys/gals just wanted to share something with you that I found pretty interesting. I installed Linux Mint 12 successfully (it's awesome) and I'm dual booting with Windows 7 as well. I monitor and maintain religiously to keep it running quickly. If my PC runs even a second too slow, say I have a bunch of chrome tabs open and I try to open Photoshop, I'll notice immediately.

After I installed Linux Mint 12, every time I choose Windows 7 for the start up it boots NOTICEABLY quicker. Anyone else had an experience like this?

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Windows 7 running noticeably quicker.

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Strange...I always thought Windows felt slower after using Mint LOL :roll:
But, it might be because of the smaller partition meaning less fragmentation meaning more speed.

HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HughT »

Hi eagleforce626, I have heard that this is simply a trick used by MS to make it appear that Windows boots fast. The wallpaper, icons and menus all show up quickly, but try using them and they're not ready. So the question is: how long to get to a working application. What do you think?
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

eagleforce626 wrote:If my PC runs even a second too slow, say I have a bunch of chrome tabs open and I try to open Photoshop, I'll notice immediately.
After I installed Linux Mint 12, every time I choose Windows 7 for the start up it boots NOTICEABLY quicker. Anyone else had an experience like this?
..If my PC runs even a second too slow
That's of very little interest to me on any OS (Linux, Microsoft, Apple, Android or others..)
  • Hence I don't constantly measure the minutiae of system performance, which will change over time as I use the machine, whether that is running an application or servicing connections
    --network verses workstation (local) performance

eagleforce626
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eagleforce626 »

HughT wrote:Hi eagleforce626, I have heard that this is simply a trick used by MS to make it appear that Windows boots fast. The wallpaper, icons and menus all show up quickly, but try using them and they're not ready. So the question is: how long to get to a working application. What do you think?
To be honest I don't think that's the case because if I click say Google Chrome it opens instantly. I am using 64Bit Windows if that makes a difference. Anyway it was just cool to me I thought I'd share it.

iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

HughT wrote:Hi eagleforce626, I have heard that this is simply a trick used by MS to make it appear that Windows boots fast. The wallpaper, icons and menus all show up quickly, but try using them and they're not ready. So the question is: how long to get to a working application. What do you think?
That's a good point: W7 grinds away for ages after the desktop and icons appear before it's actually usable. With Mint 12 it's usable as soon as they appear.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

JayKay3000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayKay3000 »

I notice Win 7 is quicker on this machine only because the graphics driver is better supported, but the boot time in mint is faster.

I suppose if you use the 'old' theme in w7 and turn off many of the startup items then it might be a bit faster, but who the heck sits at their computer while it boots anyway?

Win 7 might be able to take advantage of your computers hardware better than Linux. There are many factors at play.

Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

I gave Linux a shot after getting fed up of XP's inefficient driver support. Reinstalling a laptop with XP always involved a gazillion different drivers. Linux was a breath of fresh air with its out-of-the-box approach. But I have to admit Microsoft upped its game. W7 is a solid OS. I'd even venture and say there are things Linux could learn from Windows 7. The OS is crisp and easy to use, and has some nice features. But rivalry is always good. I'm sure eventually Linux will surpass Windows again.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Thank G*D, windows 7 is now running quick enough: we now just have to wait for the tuneup of win8 when available..

rhy7s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rhy7s »

eagleforce626 wrote:Hey guys/gals just wanted to share something with you that I found pretty interesting. I installed Linux Mint 12 successfully (it's awesome) and I'm dual booting with Windows 7 as well. I monitor and maintain religiously to keep it running quickly. If my PC runs even a second too slow, say I have a bunch of chrome tabs open and I try to open Photoshop, I'll notice immediately.

You might want to start measuring to back up your claims e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/perform ... fault.aspx, it's too easy to be biased.

squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by squeezy »

iironjade wrote:That's a good point: W7 grinds away for ages after the desktop and icons appear before it's actually usable. With Mint 12 it's usable as soon as they appear.
That's true. I have a desktop gadget in Win7 that shows CPU and memory use, so I can see it from the moment the desktop appears. My CPU is pegged for 30-40 seconds after the desktop and all icons are visible. It's virtually unusable during this time. On this same machine under LMDE I can use anything as soon as the desktop is displayed.

Another thing that bugs me with Win7 is that even 4-5 minutes, or more, after the CPU settles down I'll open a directory and double-click a file to open it and get a green progress bar across location field of the directory window that stops any further action until it slowly inches its way to the end of the field. What Windows is doing I have no idea. I have indexing and searching turned off.

Return to “Other topics”