Forum use observation

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dcihon
Level 4
Level 4

Forum use observation

Post by dcihon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 pm

After reading several posts over the last few months here is an observation I have made on the use of the forum:
READ .... READ .... READ..
It seems if people would only do more searching and reading on the forum many of their questions would be answered before posting.
I see a lot of people post a question that as already been answered somewhere else.
They also give up on something like using Cinnamon before researching on how to do something.
Seems like I read the same post over and over again maybe just worded a little different.
I have done my venting now. I feel better.
Back to reading.
Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
ATI - Tracking - Testing

vanDoom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Forum use observation

Post by vanDoom » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:34 pm

I remember starting my Linux journey a few years back. Sometimes things can be so new you don't even know what you are searching for, or how to apply things you have found out. You are left feeling like a little child who can only ask 'Why?' after every statement that is made. I think it takes a good leap of faith to finally get involved in breaking and fixing things yourself. Or, read every introductory document you can find.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm

dcihon wrote:if people would only do more searching and reading on the forum many of their questions would be answered before posting
You are quite correct and it can get very frustrating at times, but I guess it's just human nature! :|
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:14 pm

I would agree that there are some simple questions that can be answered by a little reading (the famous RTFM idea, as in look over any guides/tutorials ref: your particular Linux distribution, and even search the same question to see if something similar has been solved before in these or other forums(Ubuntu of course, as it relates to Mint)).

But I do get that some people just want to ask the question and see what the answer is
--they may never check
  • All I can say about that is it keeps the forums lively..

Return to “Other topics”