Curl - Rkhunter

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
papaneuf
Level 1
Level 1

Curl - Rkhunter

Post by papaneuf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Does anyone know if Curl is included in the original distro of Mint 10 Julia? It lists as a "suspicious" file when running rkhunter. I checked the history on Update Manager because I remember some curl files in a previous update. The history shows some lib files updated but I don't see the curl binary. I have never used the curl program (that I am aware of) and was thinking of removing it to clear it from the rkhunter warning log. However I do not want to screw things up if it is necessary to the operation of the system. In Package Manager it appears that several other programs would also be removed if I did so. Thanks!

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Curl - Rkhunter

Post by hellfire695 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 am

To be honest you should be using chkrootkit. rootkithutner is got too many false positives

papaneuf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by papaneuf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:12 am

I use both.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Curl is a legitimate program. It is a daemon program that runs automatically to facilitate downloading files in various formats from the internet. If you remove it , your downloading options will be severely restricted.

From Synaptic Package manager:
Get a file from an HTTP, HTTPS or FTP server

curl is a client to get files from servers using any of the supported
protocols. The command is designed to work without user interaction
or any kind of interactivity.

curl offers a busload of useful tricks like proxy support, user
authentication, ftp upload, HTTP post, file transfer resume and more.
Registered Linux User 483387

papaneuf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by papaneuf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for the response! I knew it was a legitimate program I just didn't know if it was part of the original Mint 10 distro. It looks like it probably is, and I won't be eliminating it any time soon. If you look in the software section of Mint community and search curl it shows the program but only lists 2 distros and Mint 10 is not one of them. Not sure if that means it wasn't part of it or not.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:33 pm

I usually use chkrootkit only, since I find rkhunters email addin annoying, as well asd the many false positives it always produces..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chkrootkit

Then again, it is only habit, since I don't expect to get any rootkits from the normal internet browsing I do, as a remote install..

Return to “Other topics”