Running swapless

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Miekuxi
Level 1
Level 1

Running swapless

Post by Miekuxi »

Since I upgraded the RAM from 512MB (which is very meager) to 2G (the modest standard, but maximum for the computer), I have not set up swap since than.
Since the highest RAM consumption has not gone over 1G yet, I'm not particularly concerned.
It sounds like Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, and KDE don't matter that much anymore, but I still avoid KDE for some reasons (try it and don't like it.)

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Running swapless

Post by DataMan »

There probably is no definitive answer other than conventional wisdom is that you should have a swap. 2G RAM is low average these days. The variables are the load factor based on apps used and processes running. The other consideration is that if you are planning on using hibernate, you're out of luck with no swap.

My recommendation is to configure and use a dedicated swap partition.

As an aside, I'm running 8G high speed RAM and a 4G swap partition.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

nomko

Post by nomko »

Miekuxi wrote:Since I upgraded the RAM from 512MB (which is very meager) to 2G (the modest standard, but maximum for the computer), I have not set up swap since than.
Since the highest RAM consumption has not gone over 1G yet, I'm not particularly concerned.
It sounds like Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, and KDE don't matter that much anymore, but I still avoid KDE for some reasons (try it and don't like it.)
Swap is not really needed unless you're running a server. Than swap can be very usefull. but it can't do no harm to setup a swapdrive. Some programs however might use swap, so be carefull with that. If you use swap, you can alter the swappiness to a lower rating. How to do that check here: http://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtri ... swappiness

deleted

Post by deleted »

I use a hefty swap since I run several VMs on my Linux host.
-H

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I usually include the swap setup partition, since it is small and doesn't affect much
--it's there if ever needed, and I don't even check if it is is, although I have occasionally looked and found no swap activity..

Nevertheless, just having it available is a sorta piece of mind, I won't crash the system, if I ever get carried away using a monster application and the swap is indeed needed..

And because of that I don't see much of a reason to dismiss it..

Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

I don't use swap anymore. I only need to put my laptop to sleep, and you don't need swap for that.

Return to “Other topics”