geforce 440 nvidia driver causes improper display--solved

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

geforce 440 nvidia driver causes improper display--solved

Post by matthekc »

I had the nvidia drivers working for me on my 440 geforce on mint 3.1 but I had a broken lcd when I got mint 4 so I didn't set them up. I got a new lcd and tried setting up the drivers but the task bar sits an inch and a half above the screen bottom and the right side of the screen has cool strips. I saw a refresh rate fix and tried it but no joy. Any one encountered and or fixed this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: geforce 440 nvidia driver causes improper display

Post by Husse »

This is a rather old card and you must use the legacy drivers
I f you don't uninstall present drivers and let Envy install the legacy drivers

Post by Guest »

Okay on the legacy drivers I'll try that but I never had much luck with envy.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you are handy with tarballs and the like go to nvidia and download the latest legacy driver
It's no big deal installing it if you have some experience
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

I made sure I had the right nvidia driver enabling it causes the same effect. I think I mess with it again in mint 5.
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

Okay i'm still playing with it tried envy that was the same. I'm stepping back to mint 3.1 tonight if I can get it working there then that might give a clearer picture whats going on. I suppose I could work it first with the old drivers in the ubuntu 7.04 repo then with the newer one from envy try to figure out whether its the drivers or maybe xorg. Could you guys tell from that?
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

Okay so I went back to 3.1 with drivers that I knew used to work. However now they didn't work properly so I did a search for my make of laptop dell latitude c840 and nvidia and got lucky. I stumbled across a fix that works on the nv forums http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr ... 79650&page Remember the new monitor I got (a samsung) it has a rom chip edid apparently its defective and this guy wrote a fix.

I went to post my fix on the ubuntu forums but found a link to a bug report with a fix.

Return to “Other topics”