Hello. I'm FrustratedNoob.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
FrustratedNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm FrustratedNoob.

Postby FrustratedNoob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 am

Hello. I'm FrustratedNoob and I'm a frustrated noob.

I used to use windows, but it's basically expensive 1984 in a box and I kinda hate MS and Apple (no offense to Woz), so I decided to try to learn Linux. I've been using different Linux distros (badly) for the last few months on an old Dell my friend donated cuz I can't afford a computer. Mint's been the friendliest Linux distro I've used so far, but not friendly enough that I'm comfortable with it at all. I've learned just enough to screw everything up almost every time I try to do anything but regular web surfing and listening to music. If you try to help me, keep in mind what a moron I am at this and don't assume I know anything, especially if it involves doing things in bash (which I assume is named 'bash' cuz it makes me bash my head against the wall when I try to use it).

Anyway, hello everyone.
Bye.
This is too #$%&* hard!!! I demand a refund!!! What? Oh.... Nevermind.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hello. I'm FrustratedNoob.

Postby Citizen229 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am

Dont fret the noobish bricking of a PC. Im a 2 year noob and still do it occasionally. :D Usually when Im playing with something Im not supposed to play with.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

WharfRat
Level 19
Level 19

Postby WharfRat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Hello FrustratedNoob Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Strange, I've never screwed anything up with my Linux installations :roll:
Image ImageImage

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm

FrustratedNoob wrote:...I've learned just enough to screw everything up almost every time I try to do anything but regular web surfing and listening to music...

Welcome FrustratedNoob,

In all honesty, you must be doing something else in addition to "regular web surfing and listening to music" for your system to get screwed up.

When you downloaded the Mint ISO, did you check it as recommended before burning it to DVD or USB flash drive? Did the installation go smoothly or did you get warnings/errors?
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

all41
Level 10
Level 10

Postby all41 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Hello FrustratedNoob,

Welcome to Mint and the forums.

1. Until you get acclimatized to Linux and Mint it would be best to stay within
the repositories for your apps.
2. I would also suggest not following online video tutorials--sometimes they are out of date,
and sometimes they offer wrong or dangerous commands.
3. Keep your system up to date using the Update manager.
4. Ask for advice here on this forum before taking steps you are uneasy with.
5. Keep your important files backed up externally if possible.
6., Relax and enjoy.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Postby The-Wizard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 am

Welcome aboard, FrustratedNoob! If you have questions, the forums are the place to come for help. I will second the advice not to get advice from videos, or other forums, or anything like that. Sometimes people follow instructions that are old, or intended for a different distribution, or whatever. And sometimes they trash their system following bad advice. So, this is the first place to come for help.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

FrustratedNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby FrustratedNoob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The install went ok. No error messages or anything. I do do more stuff than web and music when I screw up. I was just trying to say that I know just enough to try to do things and then fail and break stuff.

1-6 are good advice, especially backing everything up. I feel a lot braver about trying things when I know I've got all my files somewhere else. I think I break stuff with the update manager sometimes though. I'm not sure. I don't know much about which updates I should get or what to do if I think one screwed something up.

I haven't quite bricked one yet, but I'll keep working on it. :)
This is too #$%&* hard!!! I demand a refund!!! What? Oh.... Nevermind.

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

HI "FrustratedNoob",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup, what make and model computer and its specifications, which edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, etc... If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

all41
Level 10
Level 10

Postby all41 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:30 pm

@FrustratedNoob,
I don't know much about which updates I should get or what to do if I think one screwed something up

For now keep your update manager set to "Don't Break My Computer"
That should allow update levels 1 thru 3. I choose to set Update Manager to show
all security updates regardless of level, then choose whether the benefit is worth the risk for levels 4 and 5.
If you decide to accept updates beyond levels 1 thru 3 I suggest doing them one
at a time and check your system operation a few days before doing another one. That removes the question mark regarding which update was not compatible.
You can keep a log of the things you do on your system as you do them.
That makes it easier to avoid the same mistakes in the future.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Postby daveinuk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello and welcome aboard, you sound like you'll get the hang of things, all good advice so far and not much to add except keep doing what you're doing, using it. So long as you have your backup of files/date on a separate drive there's not much to worry about if it all goes pear shaped - one of the best things about linux is it's so quick and easy to reinstall the system and if you have a backup of bookmarks/email/passwords etc you can have a newly installed system tweaked and running smooth in half an hour after installing. Anyway, if you don't break it a few times it's not as exciting ;)

dcrowder
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dcrowder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:02 am

We were all noobs (and probably frustrated) at the beginning of our Linux lives. If you haven't borked a machine, you aren't doing much. I learn much more from the mistakes than anything else. Just stick with it. And as was stated above... keep your data backed up externally!

As the old saying says...
Smooth Seas Never Made A Skilled Sailor
Acer Aspire R14, Mint 18.2 MATE

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Postby gold_finger » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Hang in there FrustratedNoob. Most of us probably started out just like you -- confused and breaking things here and there. I can't possibly count the number of times I broke my installs when I first started out with Linux after using Windows for many years. That's normal and part of the learning process. Somewhere along the line things that were confusing in the beginning will start to become clearer and actually make sense. Here is a list of links that might be helpful. If you have some spare time, I'd highly recommend you read the first few chapters of the very first thing on the list: Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Introduce yourself”