Experienced newbie

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
jxr182
Level 1
Level 1

Experienced newbie

Post by jxr182 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am

Hey guys! My name's Jamie. I'm a chronic OS hopper (windows, mac, and all the various Linux distros). I've used Linux off and on for literally years but feel I still know nothing about how it works. I can load a terminal and spit out some "apt get"'s and some "uname"'s but that's about it. When the troubleshooting gets tough my backups get to work and I find a new temporary home for the day. The "fun" of constantly changing operating systems is starting to wear off and I've had quite a few near misses with losing all of my data on backups so I finally made a concerted effort to find "the one" I could stick with. It came down to Manjaro and Mint and I picked Mint just because I'm more comfortable with an Ubuntu base than an Arch base. So here I am. I'm going to try to get involved in the forums not so much because I know how to help people, but so that maybe I can finally learn how to do things for myself in the terminal by reading other peoples' posts. Anyway nice to meet ya'll.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Experienced newbie

Post by JoeFootball » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:38 pm

jxr182 wrote:... so that maybe I can finally learn how to do things for myself in the terminal by reading other peoples' posts.
Welcome! :) And welcome to your continuous learning experience. I got my start with Unix back in college, and picked up Linux in 1999, and every day since has been learning something new.

For your terminal education, may I also recommend LinuxCommand.org and its companion The Linux Command Line book (it's available for free as a PDF). Both the website and book are very well done.

Joe

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Welcome to the forums!
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Hello jxr182 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:20 pm

Welcome aboard, Jamie!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 am

Hi, Jamie, I must commend you upon your decision to select Mint. Welcome to the most stable distro that I use. ;)
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Post by catweazel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

jxr182 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am
I'm going to try to get involved in the forums not so much because I know how to help people, but so that maybe I can finally learn how to do things for myself in the terminal by reading other peoples' posts. Anyway nice to meet ya'll.
Welcome aboard. You'll feel right at home here helping others.
There are no silly questions, but there are silly answers.

Return to “Introduce yourself”