Hi teacher fighting to get Linux into schools

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
bigdogsam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi teacher fighting to get Linux into schools

Post by bigdogsam » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi all,
I am a computer teacher working to get linux into my curriculum. In order to get permission to run linux I had to promise to run on an "air gapped" network. No internet or connection to the school's network. It's a challenge but it will be worth it to get our students to experience something other than just the standard Windows and chromebooks. If there are any other educators out there, or linux purists who want to get the word out let me know. My first project is to create a stand alone repository so I can download latest packages at home and bring into school for students to learn to upgrade and maintain their systems. From there I will be adding DHCP, Apache, ftp servers in addition to the repository. I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

I have been a linux user since the mid 90's and started with Slackware. I am mostly a Red Hat, Fedora guy but our school district uses Mint for the Digital Divide program which allows us to recycle old computers for students who can't afford them. I have been impressed with Mint and it's ability to run on older computers.

Fellow educators please reach out and lets end the monopoly Microsoft has in education and show students what a "real" operating system can do.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hi teacher fighting to get Linux into schools

Post by WharfRat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:07 am

Hello bigdogsam Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

That sounds like an interesting project - good luck with it :wink:
ImageImage

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:52 am

Hi bigdogsam

you would want to use an offline repository, like with this ubuntu example:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/update-u ... onnection/
How to Update and Upgrade Ubuntu Offline .. .

you will need to use the program apt-offline in order to do that function.
- - which is available in the LinuxMint Package Manager aka synaptic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:06 am

bigdogsam wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 pm
In order to get permission to run linux I had to promise to run on an "air gapped" network.
Cyclops only has one eye and that's blind :)

Good luck.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Vic20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic20 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 am

You will simply want to burn off a lot of cd's and Amazon a bunch of small thumb drives to make iso's and printed instructions upon how to typically boot to it, rather then the native os. Do it organically like this, make the kids, not only the bunch you work with give it a go and you get a thumbs up from everybody. This should not be so hard, sadly these days agenda's toss priorities out the window.

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:36 am

bigdogsam wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 pm
It's a challenge but it will be worth it to get our students to experience something other than just the standard Windows and Chromebooks.
They allow Chromebooks? Chrome OS is a Linux kernel-based operating system designed by Google.

So what's the problem other than short-sightedness by administration.
The latest Chromebooks will also run Mint so I believe.

If you read some of the other users on this site, they have "dropped" their spouses on to Linux Mint, not told them and they don't know they are not running Windows. My partner does know it isn't Windows because she hasn't had any disruptions to operations for a year now, after her computer was being "broken" every month by Microsoft last year and the October update's total wiping of everything was "the last straw".

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:01 am

Hello bigdogsam,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
Good to have you here and i'm sure your project will get some attention.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

bigdogsam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bigdogsam » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:43 pm

I have the computers networked together using static IP's, next I am setting up a local repository to teach maintenance and upgrading, then will add DHCP to teach that, then apache and ftp, then firewalls and wireshark (now you see why they don't want me on the school's network!). I'm a hands on guy and teaching networking from a book just doesn't get it for me. If you look towards Florida and see smoke, it's just my brains burning :)

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 am

I actually "dropped" mint on my wife, but I told her what I was doing, she could hardly use Windwoes and was often asking for help, just trying to watch a movie. That's about all she ever uses the computer for. She loves mint! The only time I get asked for help is when the server is off, and she can't access the movies on it. :D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Hello and welcome to the Linux Mint forum!

Great to hear that you are teaching Linux computing at school. Keep us posted on the ins and outs and failures and successes.
Greencedar

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:51 pm

I gave out 20 old netbooks (Dell 910 ) to a class at a local school that used Puppy Linux with some additions on 64 GB flash drives. The kids picked it up in about a half hour and made use of the Libreoffice suite keeping everything on the flash drive and putting homework onto some 16GB flash drives they were able to turn in.
Once they began using the enhanced Puppy they just carried their flash drives and plugged them into any available computer and booted them to their system.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Welcome!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

DisturbedDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DisturbedDragon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint and to the Linux Mint forums!

Linux in school is an outstanding idea and great tool for kids to use. I have used many Linux Distributions over the years with Mint being my favorite by far for daily use. I have two daughters which started using Linux Mint at the ages of five and six; they are now thirteen and fourteen. I created a Linux Mint PXE server with LTSP. Configured properly on a gigabit network it runs like a local install. This was and still is used primarily for learning. There are maths and grammar games extending from kindergarten to high school levels. Both have learned scripting and light programming in Linux.

The PXE server is now just a VM I keep running and still comes in use here and there. My kids love for Linux has persisted though. They both run Mint locally installed on their desktops and laptops. Only place they do not use it is on their school laptops which are MacBook Air.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
1TB Samsung NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
-------------------------------------
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Kernel 4.15.0-65

Return to “Introduce yourself”