Hello and Slainte

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
JW1949
Level 1
Level 1

Hello and Slainte

Post by JW1949 »

Hi there, I've just installed Cinnamon 20 on a second hand 2009 iMAC, that was probably the easy bit as it went very smoothly. I did use Ubuntu many years ago and liked the flexibility, but became an Apple fan using iPhone, iPad and a MACBook Air laptop for day-to-day computing.

I'm looking forward to trying a few things on Linux - specifically implementing a home backup strategy, probably using NAS alongside public cloud providers, developing my blogs and possibly running my own web server.

First problem is replacing a WD MyBookLive, which recently had to be disconnected from the network due to "vulnerabilities". I will prepare a post on my experience so far on this particular issue, but at the moment I don't think I will be spending any hard earned cash (pension) with Western Digital ever again !

Looking forward to an adventure.

Jack
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Hello and Slainte

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JW1949 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:36 am
Hi there, I've just installed Cinnamon 20 on a second hand 2009 iMAC, that was probably the easy bit as it went very smoothly. I did use Ubuntu many years ago and liked the flexibility, but became an Apple fan using iPhone, iPad and a MACBook Air laptop for day-to-day computing.

I'm looking forward to trying a few things on Linux - specifically implementing a home backup strategy, probably using NAS alongside public cloud providers, developing my blogs and possibly running my own web server.

First problem is replacing a WD MyBookLive, which recently had to be disconnected from the network due to "vulnerabilities". I will prepare a post on my experience so far on this particular issue, but at the moment I don't think I will be spending any hard earned cash (pension) with Western Digital ever again !

Looking forward to an adventure.

Jack
Dia duit!

The WD MyBookLives haven't been updated in sometime so are essentially past their EOL (End Of Life). I suggest getting external drive enclosures and install regular SSDs/HDDs in them. Then you don't have to worry about them having an EOL (other than just wearing out or otherwise dying, same as any other drive). You usually wind up with better quality external drives that way. WD HDDs are OK but I'm not ready to trust their SSDs (formerly Sandisk) just yet.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
kc1di
Level 17
Level 17

Post by kc1di »

Hello Jack,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JW1949
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JW1949 »

Thanks LadyFitz for a constructive reply. I have posted my WD My Book Live saga in the Networking thread - viewtopic.php?f=52&t=353448. :roll: :roll:
AndyMH
Level 17
Level 17

Post by AndyMH »

You will find, unfortunately, that iPhones does not play well with linux.

NAS solution - I went out and bought a synology.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
deepakdeshp
Level 19
Level 19

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb