about linux mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raj Mukhopadhyay
Level 1
Level 1

about linux mint

Post by Raj Mukhopadhyay »

I am an ex-windows user. I don't know what was my computer first preinstalled with, but it has an 'ubuntu' sticker, which proves that linux is supported. However, when I had first got the computer(2015), my father had already made someone install Windows 7 on it, as windows 7 was in my school syllabus(I was reading in class 6 then). That windows 7 was pirated; but I didn't know that then.
After many years(in 2020), my windows 7 began to slow down after connecting to internet for my online classes. At last, it became intolerable. At that time I didn't know much about linux, and thought that it was wholly CLI; therefore I asked my father to install windows 10 in stead of windows 7. After installing pirated windows 10, it ran faster than windows 7. But in 2021, my windows 10 was slowing down, and I was hating to use an illegal software; and then I came to know about Linux Mint. I have installed Linux Mint after formatting the HDD, and now it is running extremely smooth and fast, never seeming to slow down no matter how much web I browse, and is virus proof! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: about linux mint

Post by absque fenestris »

Hello Raj Mukhopadhyay

Welcome to the club. Which Mint desktop did you finally choose?

Speaking of illegal software: I set up a nice used Thinkpad with Windows 7, MS Defender, etc. for a friend at the time. Legal MS operating system, otherwise I had used exclusively open source and free software like LibreOffice, Sumatra PDF, GIMP and so on.
Worked wonderfully, including the daily MS Defender malware check. It worked just fine until a much better friend slapped a stolen MS Word on it. Those from Microsoft are not totally stupid either: you could still use the computer, but MS did not provide any updates for anything anymore ...
For my part, it was the last commercial system I installed for free.
If it costs just a little bit, people don't let any idiot tamper with their device without further ado.

However, this kind of geniuses are also practical - so again and again hopelessly "broken" devices end up with me. Newly minted they make ideal birthday gifts. So far none came back.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Raj Mukhopadhyay,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mikaelrask »

welcome to the forum and linux mint, small suggestion replace that hdd with a ssd :D
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums Raj Mukhopadhyay! Congratulations on installing the best Linux distribution. :mrgreen:
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Namaskar,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi @Raj Mukhopadhyay
Welcome to the Mint forums. Good to have you join in here,
and good to hear you are enjoying your Mint.
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

Namaskaram (I'm from Kerala, India)
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Introduce Yourself”