Hello Linux Mint users!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bnof007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Linux Mint users!

Post by Bnof007 »

Hi, I'm totally new to Linux.

It always scared me that Linux was made only for hardcore users, doing everything with commands in the Terminal. That's why I always used Windows. :roll:

This year I've done some search about a user friendly Linux distro, and found the Mint. I'm using it a couple of days and I'm loving it!

Greetings from Brazil!! :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hello Linux Mint users!

Post by all41 »

Bnof007 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm Hi, I'm totally new to Linux.

It always scared me that Linux was made only for hardcore users, doing everything with commands in the Terminal. That's why I always used Windows. :roll:

This year I've done some search about a user friendly Linux distro, and found the Mint. I'm using it a couple of days and I'm loving it!

Greetings from Brazil!! :wink:
Excellent report. It's good to have you join in. My prediction--your appreciation will grow with momentum.
Welcome to the forums--enjoy your Mint.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi Bnof007,
welcome to our forum.
:)

the Terminal is still used, even today, but there is lots of assistance,
when that is required to be used.

in most cases .. you don't need to use it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

doing everything with commands in the Terminal
Well that was the misunderstanding I had around 8 years ago give or take. I've been using Mint Cinnamon for the past 10+ years straight as well as Mate, Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu, and other distros + desktop combos off and on along side ( but separate physical drive per OS world Linux being one...Windows being another and NEVER booted with both connected to keep them separate ;) ), and Mint Cinnamon for me has proven to be THE most gentle consistent transition from Windows to Linux I have yet to find.

And I'm sorry for sounding like a suckup but facts are facts....Clem and the team have done nothing but VERY well improve this OS experience like fine wine.
Some people have this digital meter in their minds whether or not they realize it. It took me a while to realize I had it also...a view of how far off I was in my Linux knowledge ..VERSUS distance/progress of any Linux distro moving towards me closer and closer to the point of " ok..I can finally do this "

On the far left end...there is that rating of ( I need things to ..just work..hassle free...no manual junk involved (..Let's call that 0

On the far right end there is a rating of ( You'll need to know not only terminal commands but how to " make" build things and write in between scripts to finally accomplish that as well as edit the fstab file to accommodate the action's behavior *** I'm probably exaggerating here..but the Linux experts will chuckle at my point here overall I think...))

We'll call that 10

0 -- - -- --^-- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10

Over the course of the past 4 years or less..I've moved from 0 to 3.5( thanks to the efforts of Clem and the rest of the Linux Mint team(s) involved in Mint and Cinnamon desktop as well as the devs behind Proton, DXVK , Lutris, and Wine.org's devs' efforts....) towards the 10th end....reaching out to the point I can reach the hand now. I officially made a FULL arm wrestling strong man " thank you" hand grab with Mint Cinnamon as of version 20 July 28 2020 and was able to ditch Windows 100% that day. I will never forget it. It has become a memory in my life worthy of immortality... The day I FINALLY..freed my PC......AND..My self from Microsoft.

It is such a strange..yet long-over due feeling and I couldn't be happier. No more bs product keys, no more someone ELSE controlling MY PC, the OS dev doesn't spy on me or sell my data. It is HOW it SHOULD be.

Bnof007.... Please know..that you won't learn Linux overnight ( remember you didn't learn Windows overnight either) and possibly not even in the first month. And that's ok. You'll eventually hit a temporary dead-end, get frustrated, and that too is ok as well as taking a break if needs be. There is no harm nor shame in that. The POINT..of the mission is to take whatever steps ...as many as needed...even if they are ALL baby steps in towards that goal. As long as you keep moving forward....that difficult to beat opponent in the mirror will soon enough tire out and your opening to know him on his @$$ and win the fight will reveal itself before you realize it. ;) and who cares if your progress is faster or slower than anyone else's. Crawl...use your damn teeth if you have to, but don't give up.

If you haven't achieved it yet...you'll eventually achieve that handshake just as I and many others have, and it will be soooo worth it. You'll be more empowered, less needing to use the excuse of blaming the OS or an OS dev...and much more able to fix your PC's issues on your own more and more.

THAT ....is part of what true digital freedom means at the OS level. :D

One command I recommend you practice if you do not practice any others is inxi -Fxxxrz (step 5 in How to get Help link above the white message/body window) It saves everyone much time and speculation whenever you need to narrow down the cause of a problem.

If you need any help be it simple settings or ways to become faster at doing anything, just ask

Just remember that is ok the feed the penguins...I just don't recommend you feed the trolls :P
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Bnof007,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Welcome! Many members here to offer free advise if you need it!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Bnof007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bnof007 »

Thank you all for the warmful welcome!

I'm thinking it won't be too hard for me to fall in love with Linux Mint (it looks awesome!), because I already love Blender! Well, it's not the same thing, but little by little I'm going to the Open Source Side of The Force. :lol:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”