Hello!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Hi, hope everyone is doing OK. My Name is Dan and I've been a Windows user since 1994. Why do I feel like we are all in a circle confessing things?! :lol: I've dabbled in Linux in the past at home with RedHat and really liked how it ran but my career was in Windows based Servers and Desktops so I never really got any real exposure to Linux. I'm going to give Linux another go and after a lot of research I've arrived at Mint, it looks like something I could get the whole family to use. When I was using RedHat, there wasn't any real help out there, certainly no communities like this one and if you weren't an absolute master at it you just got laughed out of the forum.

I've also arrived back here because of the Win11 death sentence. My i7-4790K with 32GB RAM and a GeForce 1080Ti isn't good enough to run it apparently :shock:

The issues I'll be looking to address first are connecting to Windows Servers and getting along with them but I guess that's been covered already.

Right, I'll get cracking! Looking forward to talking with you all in the forums!

Take care,

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hello!

Post by Pierre »

Hi Dan_Sykes,
welcome to our forum.
:)

you won't be the first person, to move from that Windows System,
and over to our LinuxMint System .. and you won't be the last .. either.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Dan_Sykes,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Dan. Win10 made a lot of Linux converts, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Dan_Sykes wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:18 am Hi, hope everyone is doing OK. My Name is Dan and I've been a Windows user since 1994. Why do I feel like we are all in a circle confessing things?! :lol: I've dabbled in Linux in the past at home with RedHat and really liked how it ran but my career was in Windows based Servers and Desktops so I never really got any real exposure to Linux. I'm going to give Linux another go and after a lot of research I've arrived at Mint, it looks like something I could get the whole family to use. When I was using RedHat, there wasn't any real help out there, certainly no communities like this one and if you weren't an absolute master at it you just got laughed out of the forum.

I've also arrived back here because of the Win11 death sentence. My i7-4790K with 32GB RAM and a GeForce 1080Ti isn't good enough to run it apparently :shock:

The issues I'll be looking to address first are connecting to Windows Servers and getting along with them but I guess that's been covered already.

Right, I'll get cracking! Looking forward to talking with you all in the forums!

Take care,

Dan
Hey--you are in common company here. Most members fit or identify that scenario.
Good to have you join in--welcome to the Mint forums
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Dan_Sykes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dan_Sykes »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I thought I'd just let you know how I'd got on. I installed Mint on an old laptop, Celeron processor, 2GB RAM and a 250GB HDD to start with to test it out. I just started to use it and get on with what I needed to do, no issues at all. After loading Thunderbird and Firefox with a few tabs open it became sluggish and I was sat waiting around for things to finish. For just £30 I've upgraded it to 8GB RAM and an SSD. What a difference!!! It's like a new machine. Everything is fast, fluid and it absolutely flies along! I've checked and I can upgrade the processor to an i5 for as little as £15.

I've got a few members of my family to give it a go and they just used it as if they had been using it for a few years! I can see me replacing Windows on my other computers once I get into it a bit more. I might do a video of me taking off the Windows sticker on the laptop and replacing it with the Linux Mint ones I've ordered from ebay :)

Thanks again, I'll hopefully get to chat with you all about more technical things!

Stay safe!

Dan
Sounder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sounder »

Hi Dan I'm new to the mint also and digging it so much so far.

Mint FXce
Dell Vostro core i7

Return to “Introduce Yourself”