linux mint says my username doesn't exist. Been here from 2008

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

linux mint says my username doesn't exist. Been here from 2008

Post by bth73 »

Here I am, bth73, since 2008. (2006 Ubuntu), But " https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/firefox" says I don't exist.
Firefox is useless. Won't open a lot of sites, completely unable to download anything. I've searched for a fix but found none. I was going to give a review of Firefox, and found I can't even log in without creating another account. I need a code from someone to sign up a new account - P.I.T.A. and shouldn't be necessary. What the hell is going on?
Everything is sucking in the last couple of years. My system can't play many video files now. Even the music players crash. In 2009 I discovered that my home built system could play 5 to 6 different video player at once with no problems, no crashes, no glitching, perfect. NOW, about a third of my video files are all scrambled video and will not play on any video player except VLC.
I used to just wait a few months for all the bugs to be gone after a new version came out but now it's all buggy all the time and never fixed. Did everybody quit working on it? I think it's just stupid that nobody has taken Linux and made it professional quality. I'd pay a good sum for a totally working system like I had in 2009.
Just one guys rant. I don't want to use chromium, I hate chrome books. (Google ruined linux, bastardized it.) And I'll die before using windows again.
Any suggestions to ease my pain would be appreciated, (like another distro maybe), (I've tried many in the past, but keep coming back to Mint Mate.)
Bruce
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux mint says my username doesn't exist. Been here from 2008

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know. Are you sure you registered an account on the community website in the past? It's separate from your forums account. There is no account there with username bth73 or with the same email address as you use here. Maybe, if you haven't used your community account for many years, then it was deleted for inactivity. That was done when the community website was upgraded a while back.

For registering a new community account simply follow the instructions. It tells you exactly where to get the code.

As for the Firefox problem, suggest you first make a topic about that here to ask for help with troubleshooting it. It's not an issue affecting everybody.

Same for the video player.

Ranting about it doesn't solve anything. Nor does leaving negative reviews in the community website. This forum exists to help each other with troubleshooting issues, make use of it. No matter what OS you're using, there are support forums for it and for the software you can use on it. No software is perfect.
cretsiah
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cretsiah »

sounds like a systems specs issue not a program / app issue

you wanna try putting up your system specs given your talking about a computer from 2008.....

sounds like not enough ram, for the browser issue

kinda got me on the music / video player though, although their requirements are probably higher now to, due to updates to the programs
RollyShed
Level 7
Level 7

Post by RollyShed »

bth73 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:18 am
Firefox is useless. Won't open a lot of sites, completely unable to download anything.
Some people don't write things to a standard format. GoToWebinar is one of them, only Chromium or Edge will it work with.
My system can't play many video files now. Even the music players crash. In 2009...
It sounds as if you have a very low spec system. I don't have any of the problems you seem to have. There is also an alternative (always one of those), convert the file from something to something else. My recommendation is use Mobile Media Converter, a brilliant little converter app. Also what is the matter with using VLC? It is in the Repository.
I think it's just stupid that nobody has taken Linux and made it professional quality.
It works OK for the 30+ people I've installed it for.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

bth73 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:18 am
I think it's just stupid that nobody has taken Linux and made it professional quality. I'd pay a good sum for a totally working system like I had in 2009.
Just one guys rant.
Have you really waited 13 years to get help, or are you just having a bad day? As others have said, post some details of your system and present your questions as separate topics if you want to be taken seriously.
Cliff Coggin
kc1di
Level 17
Level 17

Post by kc1di »

Sounds like a rant that could be avoided by asking in the appropriate sections for help. I do not find Mint to be that buggy. Don't use FF much Try a different browsers Brave is a good alternative. I like Vivaldi also. As has been pointed out the Mint community sight requires a separate sign up from the Forum.
Asking for help will get you much further than complaining.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums
As stated make separate posts in the appropriate sections for your problems.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 20.3 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”